𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐 • ℂ𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝔽𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕤

Sorry for the late update. But now, 🎶SCHOOOLS OUT FOR SUMMER🎶 so my posting will hopefully go back to every Saturday. ♥️

        TᕼE ᗷᖇEEᘔE STᗩᖇTS to turn cold as I ride back to the palace at dusk

        TE ᗷᖇEEE STᗩᖇTS to turn cold as I ride back to the palace at dusk. The sunshine has been concealed by a thick layer of grey clouds, making it instantly dark. As I pick up pace, the horse gets uneasy. By the time we get to the gates of the Grand Palace, she nearly bucks me off. "Easy, girl. What's the matter?" I ask quietly, stroking Marigold's mane to calm her down. After she's settles a little bit, I cautiously lead her to the stables. Her ears are still twitching with discomfort as I leave her. I hear the stomping of the mare's hooves as if in protest of my departure.

I shake off the uneasy feeling caused by the horse's disturbance and walk back to the courtyard of the palace, up the white marble staircase, and into the Great Hall. As always, there is no one to greet me at the door except for the sinister presence of two nichevo'ya. The breathless wardens.

A tug on the tether leads me to the throne room where Aleksander is patiently waiting on his obsidian throne, one leg crossed leisurely over the other.

My footsteps echo through the empty foyer. The silence was thick with tension. "Aleksander," I greet. He stands from his seat and steps off the dais to meet me halfway. His eyes pierce through me. "Have you come to a decision?"

"I have," he replies smoothly.

"And?" I ask. "What have you—" Before I can finish, his arms swoop around me and tug me snugly to his chest. He pampers me with kisses, fast and needy. I happily reciprocate his need, bracing myself by resting my palms on the muscles of his chest.

Good, I think. I knew he would see reason.

He pulls me closer still, one hand pressing against my back to hold me to him, the other interlacing our fingers. I smile against his lips, looking deeply into his eyes expecting to find the same amount of joy there as I exude. However, as I search his shadowy irises, there is a great deal of uneasiness.

My brows wrinkle with worry. "What is it?"

He strokes the angles of my face with the back of his hand while his other slides up to encircle my wrist.

"I'm sorry," he says.

His fingers encompassing my right wrist are replaced with something metal. It clasps shut with a click. My stomach drops at the sound. I raise my hand to find what looks like a thick metal bracelet, but it has no fastener to unclasp, no keyhole to unlock. It doesn't take me long to recognize that this is no jewelry. It is a shackle.

"What is this?" I ask darkly.

"Durest-made," the Darkling says. "Only I can take it off." He holds my wrist up to admire the shackle as if it is his sole prized possession. "Should you find yourself thinking about leaving the palace unannounced again, don't bother. This will keep you within the vicinity."