𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔 • ℂ𝕠𝕝𝕕 𝕄𝕠𝕠𝕟 𝔽𝕖𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕒𝕝

ᖴOᖇ TᕼE ᑭᗩST few weeks, I awakened each day only to remember that I was alone in the grand-sized bed made for two people

        O TE ᑭᗩST few weeks, I awakened each day only to remember that I was alone in the grand-sized bed made for two people. This morning, however, I feel the warmth of long arms wrapped around me under the covers. I hear the soft breath of sleep that belongs to someone other than myself, their chest rising and falling with mine. I smell the familiar scent of a winter forest and pine trees. When my lashes flitter open, shimmering quartz eyes stare back at me.

"Good morning, Aleksander," I sigh, nuzzling my face into his neck. I try to close my eyes and go back to sleep, but he makes a quick shift, rolling on top of me. His mouth peppers me with kisses in my most ticklish spots to ensure I stay awake. He kisses my cheeks, my forehead, my jaw, my neck, and back up until he reaches my ear, nibbling it playfully. A giddy laugh sounds from my throat.

"Okay, okay. I'm awake!" I giggle as he bites where the sensitive flesh of my neck meets my shoulder. "That better not leave a mark. I don't want to have to tell Amelia that I got bit by a vampire again."

The vibration of his warm chuckle sends a shiver down my back. He bites harder earning a gasp from me. "I want everyone to know that I am yours," he says.

        "I think that's what the wedding rings are for." I hold up my ring that has a diamond in the center held in by a golden sun interlocked with a black steel moon.

He hums and plants a kiss on my neck to soothe the red imprint he left. It definitely left a mark. . .

        "I suppose I should catch up on the work that I put aside before dust bunnies form on the papers piling up on my desk," I sigh.

        "Or we can spend today together instead," Aleksander suggests.

        I gape at him, silently wondering who this man is and where he put my husband. "You've never been one to put off work before," I say skeptically.

        His fingers brush through my tangled mess of white hair for a minute before he says, "I've learned that some things are more important."

        My lips curl up into a smile. "Like what?"

        "Well yesterday, Amelia was quite excited about the Cold Moon festival. It sounded like something you would enjoy as well if you'd like to come."

        "I think the Cold Moon festival came to Keramzin once or twice while I was at the orphanage. Mal and I snuck away to go."

        Aleksander doesn't even flinch when I say Mal's name anymore. He has accepted that Mal was a significant part of my past and that he will always be my first love as Luda is to Aleksander.

        "Is that a yes?" he smirks.

        "Yes."

        "Good," he grins.