𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟔 • 𝔽𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣

I ᑎOTIᑕE ᗩ SIGᑎIᖴIᑕᗩᑎT change in the atmosphere after Baghra banished all the merzost for good

        I OTIE SIGIIᑕᗩᑎT change in the atmosphere after Baghra banished all the merzost for good. Without the nichevo'ya's daunting presence, the knot in my stomach vanishes, and my chest feels less tight. It is a liberating feeling.

        Merzost has been this country's primary issue for hundreds of years, starting with the Fold. Actually, it began with the Bonesmith, Ilya Morozova, who forever cursed his bloodline by using dark magic. It is quite a dark, poetic ending. This all started with a Morozova, and it ended with one. . . I glance over at Baghra but quickly avert my eyes, too devastated by the casualty to look for long.

        It's finally over, I assure myself.

        But the thought does not bring me as much comfort as I had hoped. I remain sitting near Aleksander's head, cradling it in my lap. A minute ago, he seemed to be on death's doorstep. Regardless of his improved appearance, he has yet to wake up. I stroke the side of his face with my fingertips, my gaze focused only on him. I am aware of the thousands of soldiers looking for direction, all the Shu Han looking for a queen. Though, I can't bring myself to care.

        I speak his name in a sing-song voice, praying that he will respond. When he doesn't, and his eyelids remain shut, a new round of tears surfaces. I weep and hold him tightly in my arms. His name tastes sour on my tongue as I repeat it over and over again, begging for him to come back.

        The battlefield is silent. Those close enough to witness the scene wear a sorrowful expression, bowing their heads in respect. The only sound that can be heard is the dry, whistling wind weaving through the golden prairie grass.

        I flinch when the back of a gentle hand wipes the stream of tears from my cheeks. I peel open my eyes and find glorious quartz eyes looking up at me. My woeful tears are replaced with tears of relief. "Alina," he whispers back. I quickly change positions and kiss Aleksander passionately as if this kiss could be our last. He chuckles against my lips and peels me away to inspect me.

        "Someone to mourn me," he hums in thought.

        "I will not be doing any more mourning," I warn.

        A breathtaking grin forms on his face. "I should hope not. You have been through enough already. My smile fades when he asks, "How. . . did I survive? I was dead, or very close to it."

        I can't bring myself to form the words, so I just take his jaw and gently guide him to face the right. When his initial shock fades, he leans over to his mother's body and cups her cold cheek. "Madraya," he whispers so quietly that I almost mistake it for a mere exhale.

        "She saved you," I say delicately after giving him a moment to process her death. "She dispelled the merzost holding you captive."

        He is silent, as I expected, but he holds her hand to his heart and leans in to kiss her forehead. The whistling wind blows a piece of Baghra's silver hair out of her updo.