𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖 • 𝕋𝕣𝕒𝕚𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕤 𝔸𝕝𝕝𝕚𝕖𝕤

Iᖴ ᗩᒪEKSᗩᑎᗪEᖇ ᕼᗩS been denying new alliances that would benefit Ravka and driving us to seclusion, he must have a reason for it

I ᗩᒪEKSᗩᑎᗪE ᕼᗩS been denying new alliances that would benefit Ravka and driving us to seclusion, he must have a reason for it. He always has a reason.

I just have to find out if that reason is a good one.

After Nikolai disappears behind a pair of golden oak doors, I backtrack in the same direction to confront Aleksander. I don't have to go far though. He was listening to the whole conversation between me and Nikolai. Aleksander can blend in with the shadows, lurk in hidden corners, making himself imperceptible like how I can bend light around myself to become invisible. It has taken a long time for me to figure out when he does it and which corner he skulks in. The sound of his breath, a footstep, a creaky floorboard is the only giveaway, but it is enough to reveal him to me. This time, it was the flare of our shadows cast on the wall of the hallway when Nikolai kissed my cheek.

        As I round the first junction of the long corridor, Aleksander steps out of the darkness with a set jaw and stiff posture. I flinch a bit and clench my fists at my sides.

        "You know," I say with a tone that suggests reprimand, "Once in a while I would like to have a private conversation with Nikolai."

        I am astonished to see his eyes darken with what looks like jealousy. To further prove my assumption, his hand levels with my cheek and wipes his thumb over where Nikolai pressed his lips against my skin as if he had tainted it.

        "That is a difficult ask when he is always closer to my wife than he should be."

"Nikolai isn't a threat to you. He grew up royalty in this palace, so he knows common propriety such as not going after married women."

A callous laugh bubbles in his chest which ruffles my feathers more. He says, "His role models were certainly not virtuous. His father went after plenty of married women, I'm sure of it."

"He is different. You know that but you are too preoccupied with your jealousy to admit it."

His nostrils flare at the insinuation and he takes a step nearer. "I am not jealous of that prince," he huffs.

Now it is my turn to laugh. "I don't believe that for a second," I say. "You've been jealous of him the minute he reappeared in the public eye and joined me in the war."

Aleksander's mood seems to change as quickly as Tamar can whip one of her axes out. He threads his fingers through my hair and pulls me intimately close. His voice borders a whisper. "You were right this morning when you accused me of being fond of him. I do respect the prince. He is confident and clever. But he also fills your head with ideas such as me keeping secrets from you. The boy is trying to turn you against me."

My forehead wrinkles, irritation reigniting within me.

"The only one turning me against you is you."