𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖• 𝔸𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕋𝕚𝕞𝕖

IT IS ᗩᑕTᑌᗩᒪᒪY QᑌITE impressive how a few words can turn a deadly quiet room into disorder in a split second

        IT IS ᗩᑕTᑌᗩᒪᒪY QITE impressive how a few words can turn a deadly quiet room into disorder in a split second. Amelia is shooed out of the room by Ivan before things get too disorderly, but that ship might have already sailed. I can barely hear myself think, but I can certainly see Aleksander's irritated glare. I don't blame him. He believes this is an impulsive decision that will change the course of history for grisha, but truthfully, I have been thinking about this for a long time, ever since the Bonesmith mentioned it. And something as momentous as this requires an influential audience. These are Dukes and duchesses, First and Second Army commanders, and ambassadors of Ravka, all in one room. They have powerful voices to spread the word for whoever will listen, and they will listen.

        I stand to get their full attention. When the confused chatter continues, I roll my eyes and clap my hands together. Explosive white light shatters all the shadows hiding in corners and crevices of the meeting hall, temporarily blinding everyone for a few seconds before I let my power settle back down within me like a bear in hibernation.

        When I am sure I have everyone's attention, I say, "I want to make the Second Army whole. If we continue like this, grisha contending with each other, divided into superior and inferior classes, Ravka will get nowhere. We have three small, weak armies that could easily be put together, but they are divided by something as menial as the color of a fabric."

        Chatter starts up again amongst the masses until Ivan speaks over them. "The grisha orders have been in place since the birth of the Second Army. How do you expect to reform what has always been?"

        "The world is changing," I respond. "Our country is a dual monarchy now. We may see a shift in alliances, good and bad. If we are to survive, we must change, too."

Some of the men and women act bored, as if they couldn't care less about matters related to the grisha. One of the duchesses even yawns. But others are riled up by the idea and look like they are ready to fight anyone who comes near them.

        "Whether you support me or not, this is the best option for our country and the grisha. I will not be like all the previous Queens and sit on my throne looking pretty. I have made an oath to protect and help Ravka's people flourish. I intend to keep that promise."

        I push out my chair at the head of the table and make my way through the parting assembly of attendants, dramatically making my exit after my closing speech. Nikolai would be proud. As soon as the heavy oak door swings shut, the air feels much less tense outside the meeting hall. I blow out a long breath and lean against the wall with my eyes closed. I hear the door's hinges squeak and footsteps follow me outside, but I do not bother to open my eyes. I know the sound of my husband's careful steps and the click of his metal-tipped boots. He leans against the wall beside me, brushing his arm against mine.