Chapter 14 - Again

I was back at school again ... which I absolutely hated, but luckily I didn't have math class today after my terrible score.

I never really hated school because I was good at it and I had great friends but sometimes I really didn't want to go to school. Normally that was because of being a teenager so I can't like school all of the time, and sometimes I just really wanted to stay home and read or watch a movie or hang out with my family.

Right now I really didn't want to be at school because I was still a little shaken up from finding that lawyer — Richard Stephens, child custody lawyer — in my house. My brother and his best friend assured me that Stephens was just talking to them for a routine check up which I believed because why would they lie to me. But a tiny part of my brain wondered why I hadn't known about this before. Hell, I didn't even know I had a custody lawyer, nonetheless one that speaks to my brother every year.

Caleb explained that this was because they wanted to protect me and not scare me with these normal checkups. This did make sense because Ace and Caleb were really protective and very subjective about what they wanted me to know and what they let me know. But still, it is a little weird I have to admit. However, for now I was letting it go. I couldn't take that kinda stress at the moment.

Everything was going fine so far at school. I had gone through two long class periods already and it was break time, which meant that I had twenty minutes to do whatever I wanted. During this time I would finish up on homework or complete lecture notes that I had taken in the class before and eat some food to get my energy back up. All of these actions I did while hanging out and talking with my friends.

Currently I was just packing a few books into my locker so I could go towards the mess hall where I was pretty sure my friends were right now. But my plans were interrupted when I saw the last person on this entire planet that I wanted to see. Second to last.

Zane.

I hadn't told my brother or his best friend about what Zane told me that day and part of me was hoping I would never have to because that one day was going to be the first and last day that Zane had ever bullied me. And I did really think that could happen when I hadn't seen him for a couple of days after. But that is also the point. I didn't see him so he couldn't bully me.

Upperclassmen — like I assumed Zane was — and freshmen like myself's path's never really crossed at school. Except for lunch. So it was pretty normal, I guess, that I hadn't seen this boy in a couple of days. But that also meant that he had to actively seek me out and to talk to me ... to bully me. This made me very on edge but I could argue with my brain that it shouldn't because I already know Zane's target was solely on me as Ace's little sister. I just wasn't sure how he knew Ace yet or why he was so keen on making my life a living hell just because he knew my brother and possibly had something against him.

No matter what the case was I knew that I had to get out of that hallway as soon as possible. So I grabbed my history textbook that I needed for my next block and held it in my arms because I didn't have enough time to put it into my backpack and started walking again. A very fast walk.

I didn't get far though before a hand grabbed my arm and pulled me back. The person spun me again until my back hit the lockers and they were facing right in front of me.

Zane.

Shit! Shit! Shit.

Zane smiled slightly, but his smile was more of a teasing smile, like a smirk but not completely one, it was a psychopaths smile. That was the best way I could describe the look this kid was giving me right now.

"Jodee. It's been a minute." He smirked, his voice low as ever. "You didn't tell your big brother about our little exchange did you?" He questioned.

"N-no, I-I didn't." I stuttered, allowing my head to drop so I was looking at the ground and not at Zane and his little posy of friends.