Chapter 18 - Comfort

JODEE POV

I was just laying down in my bed watching Mean Girls on my TV. I had already watched Mean Girls a million times but I was watching it again just because it was kinda like a feel good movie for me because I loved it and had seen it so many times. And right now I wasn't really wanting to get into one of the shows that I watched day after day because that meant that I had to pay attention to the show.

I was just laying under my covers, which I usually didn't do so I didn't mess up my bed for the night. But today I just really felt like getting cozy. So when Caleb told me to go upstairs I got into some Aviator Nation sweatpants and put on a gray sleep shirt and then got under my blankets and started watching my program.

I also grabbed one of my numerous stuffed animals that I had and was cuddling with it right now.

When I was younger, I was obsessed with stuffed animals. And I mean obsessed to an extreme! I think I managed to convince Ace to buy me one like once a week. I know that seems a little excessive but I had Ace wrapped around my little finger when I was little. Caleb says I still do but I don't think he listens to me as much as he did when I was super young. All I had to do to get myself a stuffed animal when I was younger was give him the puppy dog eyes and beg for one and in a couple minutes — an hour max! — he'd say fine and order me one online, take me to go get one, or if we were already in the store check out with it.

And don't get me wrong! I didn't want the cheap ones from Target or whatever. I wanted the real nice ones, and my favorite brand was Jellycat which was not cheap. But they're so nice and soft and cozy and I really do love them. I even keep all of them displayed on two wooden shelves that appear to hang down from ropes in my closet ... but in reality the shelves are just nailed into the wall.

When I'm sad I always go to get a stuffed animal. This time I chose a cute, medium sized, light pink little bunny one. And I had it tucked under my chin. The ears were a little damp because when I was super sad I used them to whip my tears, but my mood has gotten better since when I came in here.

I heard a soft knock at my door causing me to sit up in my bed almost immediately.

"Come in!" I called faintly. My words were dull and my voice was quiet.

The door opened at my words and a boy with dark black hair and blue eyes popped his head in the door — Ace.

If I thought about it, I would think that I wouldn't want to see my big brother right now or that I would be scared in some way. But right now I was so happy ... happy, but also falling apart. It was like seeing Ace gave me a go ahead to just let all of my emotions out. To be vulnerable.

His face was soft and warm as he slightly made his way to my bed.

A sob came out of my throat as I stepped out of my covers. Ace knew what I wanted as he rushed over to my bed upon seeing my reaction. I got up on my knees and made movements to get closer to the end of my bed and my brother while still on my knees.

Ace's knee sunk down into my bed as my body flew into his. My arms wrapped around his neck and my head buried into his shoulder. I thought I was done crying, but while I was in my brother's embrace it felt like I was free to just break down and let it all out. His strong arms wrapped around my waist and my legs wrapped around his like a koala. One of his hands came up to hold my head to his chest. I felt so safe.

"Shhh, shh, I got you. I got you." I heard Ace's voice whisper in my ear as I buried myself farther into his shoulder, crying.

My older brother and I stayed in that position for a while longer as I slowly got myself back together enough to entangle myself from his embrace.