Chapter 27 - Sleepover

Ace put the car in park and turned to look at me in the backseat, his face a void of any emotion.

Both of my brothers had driven me over to Jess's this afternoon because they had to go somewhere right after they dropped me off and I think they feel bad that they're leaving on such short notice.

Of course, Ace demanded he was going to be the driver with Caleb in the passenger seat. But also Caleb is going to get out of the car and go speak to Jess's parents just as a thank you because apparently he's a polite kid right now so he needs to be able to get in and out quickly.

"Bye, Ace." I reached forward through the middle in the two seats and slung my arm around my brother's neck, pulling him in for a quick hug.

"See you soon, Joes," Ace whispered in my ear, kissing my temple.

I smiled at him and reluctantly let go and headed out the back door of the car.

"Here." Caleb told me, tossing me my duffle bag.

I had a purple duffle bag with various keychains and things like that spread around it. This bag had my sleeping bag and change of clothes and that sort of thing in it . But I also had my dark red (burgundy?) backpack that I brought to school because tomorrow Jess's family was going to drive me to school and one of my brothers would pick me up. So in reality we wouldn't be separated for too long.

"Thanks,"

Caleb started walking up to the door, but I was struggling with my duffle bag and my backpack. I didn't have my backpack on my back yet so I was trying to hold it on my elbow while I attempted to sling my heavy duffle bag over my shoulder. Key words: tried and attempted. It was not working out well for me to say the least...

"W-wait," I managed to struggle out, my backpack yanking me almost to the ground.

"What the..." Caleb came over, grabbing my duffle bag from me and effortlessly swinging it over his shoulder. "Ya want me to carry that too?" He jerked his head in the direction of my backpack.

"Hey! Don't be mean," I pushed him on the shoulder but he didn't even move.

Chuckling slightly he said, "I don't understand how you fail to carry just two bags,"

Meanie!

"I'm not a literal bodybuilder like you. It's like you're on steroids," I shot back.

I could never and still don't understand how both of my brothers are so strong and muscular when I don't even have an inch of muscles! It's impossible to state it plainly so the only solution I can come to is that they take steroids! It's just the only real solution.

Caleb belted out a big laugh, throwing his head back in amusement. "I'll have you know I work for this body" — he made a big show of gesturing to himself — "and thank you for the compliment!" He shot a light tipped smile at me.

"What compliment?" I reported.

"You think I'm strong. Which I am!"

"Keep thinkin' that, big boy," I patted his upper arm sarcastically.

Caleb was wearing casual black pants with gray dunks — or the lottary edition as he says, I wouldn't know. And a white tight shirt that really displayed his muscular upper arms and forearms and shoulders, okay! I guess just his entire arms... but I was at least glad that he wore a jean jacket over the top of it so Jess didn't go crazy over him.

Both Aubrey and Jess go crazy over Caleb. Ace too I guess but because he's such an introvert they haven't really seen him all that much when we're at my house because he hides. So they can't really oggle him as much as they do Caleb.