Chapter 15 - Shopping

Today was the day! The day Caleb promised me when he edged Ace on to let me go to the winter dance. I was so excited, today Caleb was taking me dress shopping.

I had never owned a really fancy dress. I owned many summer dresses and swimsuit cover ups but I had never really owned a dress that was fancy enough for a whole Winter Formal.

However, I did have a dress for my 8th grade graduation, but it was almost summer at that time so it wasn't as formal as I've seen some people's Winter Formal dance dresses at my school to look like. There's this instagram page — which I was recently allowed to get — that had dresses that people were wearing and had worn previous years. The point of the "insta" is to make sure girls aren't wearing the same dress because apparently that's not something they like to happen. But I didn't really care about that, I just liked to see the dresses so I could make sure I was going to fit in.

I also wasn't sure who I was going to go to the dance with because I had heard from some of my friends — mainly Jess — and other classmates that it's weird to not go with a date for this dance. For example, you couldn't just go with your group of friends.

Ezra had asked me but it was super casual and I didn't want to take the opportunity away from him going with that girl he wanted to actually go with — Katie. I also didn't really know any other boys as well as to go to a dance with them, besides Justin and Ezra.

I tried to push those thoughts out of my mind because I was super excited to go dress shopping and have some one on one time with Caleb so I didn't want to ruin any of that fun.

"Ready to go, Jo?" Caleb asked, poking his head inside of my room without bothering to knock on the door.

I turned around, grinning: "Yep! Almost. Meet you down there." I responded cheerily.

Caleb just grinned back at me in response and nodded his head before leaving, but I did catch what he said before he went — "Ready to go, Jo? Hey! That rhymes."

I shook my head at my honorary brother. Caleb has always had a huge ego and been super arrogant and that just proves my point. Due to my childhood with my brother, he and I — mainly him — were forced to grow up earlier and become more mature. But Caleb, Caleb would always be a kid at heart and that was one of the things I absolutely loved about him.

I put on a simple SEATTLE, WASHINGTON crewneck over my shirt and grabbed by light blue converse before heading out my room door. Today I wore some slightly big and baggy jeans with a crew neck two necklaces: one was gold with small little pearls on it and the other was another small gold chain, just a little bigger than the previous one, with the letter J on it that was turned to the side.

Caleb smiled when he saw me walking down the stairs and I followed him out to his car. The car that he chose was a simple black one — I wasn't sure what type, I didn't know a lot nor cared about cars — but I did appreciate that he chose a more toned down car.

My brother and Caleb have lots of cars between the two of them. Some are simple with black, white, or gray. But others are flashy colors like bright blue or royal red. My personality was pretty shy to be honest so even if I was just in one of those cars I felt super uncomfortable. Ace and Caleb were cool enough to drive around in them — I, however, was not. Cal and Ace didn't know why I didn't like to drive around in their flashy and crazy expensive cars. This is because if they did they would most likely lecture me for a whole long time about how stupid I was being and how I need to be more "kind to myself" and all that stuff. But they did know I didn't like it and therefore they both made an effort to choose cars I was more comfortable in when they drive me places. For this I was extremely grateful.