Chapter 57 - Reality

I hug Ace around the middle, my hands not even close to clasping around each other on the other side of his back due to how huge his waist is. My chin rests on his chest area as I peer up at him. One of Ace's arms is tightly wrapped around my right shoulder as he looks down at me with some confusion and slight annoyance, probably wondering what I was doing.

"Remember to take your meds, and stay in bed — not too much walking around. And no working at all, not even on your computer. You should probably take a nap too—" I started to list off all of the things I needed my brother to do and not do during the day while I was away at school.

That was right, I was forced to go to school today.

I know I agreed with Caleb that I would go with no complaints today, but when I woke up this morning I unfortunately was regretting that decision. So Caleb and I had a mini fight this morning which was more of me just trying to get him to agree with me and let me stay home another week, and him not taking any of my complaints.

Now that my brother is awake and home, the two best friends are best friends again, and I'm not here for it!

Caleb and Ace even made me sleep in my own bed last night. Cal said that since everything is fine now and back to normal I should be getting back to my normal school-night-routine which includes sleeping by myself and all of that stuff. I tried to appeal to Ace, thinking that he would pick my side. But instead he chose our brother's side and said that Caleb is right — I should start being a normal kid again.

I did manage to get Caleb to agree that he would come pick me up from school right at the bell, instead of making me wait at school for an hour after like he usually does on Tuesdays. Normally, I like staying after school because it means I can do my homework and then just relax when I get home, but today I just want to be back with my brother so that is not an option.

Another reason I really don't want to go to school is because I'm stressed out. I've missed about two weeks of school due to Ace being in the hospital and all of the confusion will that. But the school doesn't care about what you're going through, all they want is for you to catch up on work. So I know I have a lot of homework and projects to make up, not to mention all of the tests and quizzes I'll have to retake.

In the first place, I'm a pretty stressed out kid — It just doesn't take a lot for me to start worrying but it does take a lot for me to calm down. Especially when it comes to school, so having this much to catch up on is really freaking me out.

I know I have people there for me which is making me feel so much better. Jess says that she'll help me with any work I need help one and Ezra said he's saved all of his tests, homework, projects, etc so I can just copy off of him — even though my conscience will probably not allow that. Cal also said that if he gets too much he'll go talk to the school and get me out of all of these makeups.

I appreciate all that my friends and family are doing and they are helping, I just can't help the anxiety from flooding into my thoughts.

"Alright, JD." Caleb grabbed my shoulders and pulled me away from Ace, spinning me so I was facing him now. "I think Ace gets it and I'll take very good care of him, so don't stress about us."

"Will you text me updates?"

"Maybe."

"Hourly." I countered.

"I'll text you during your snack and lunch breaks." Caleb raised his eyebrow at me, imposing that he was the correct one.

"Fine."

That's probably as good as I was going to get. Might as well take the small victories. 

"Good. Now we've got to go." My honorary brother ruffled my hair, his eyes adorned with affection before he pushed me away from him and started heading towards the garage.