Chapter 38 - Statement

"So you're just going to—" The lady that had called my name said walking away, probably assuming that we'd follow her before she turned her head and did a double take. "Umm, two of you? Usually we only let one parent or guardian in the room..." She began, nervously biting the cap of her pen due to the intimidating stature of both of my brothers.

"Yes, hi. My name is Caleb Warner." Caleb stepped forward, addressing the situation. "And this is Ace Chambers, Jodee's brother and legal guardian" — he pointed to Ace — "when I spoke with someone on the phone they said we would both be allowed in the room due to Ace's disability."

"Oh." Her eyebrows scrunched up as she looked down at her paper to confirm what my honorary brother was saying. "S-selective mutism. Correct?"

"Yes, correct. It prevents him from speaking in situations like this, so I will speak on his behalf but Ace needs to be in present because he is Jodee's legal guardian." Caleb's tone was caught in between being stern so it was clear he wasn't budging on both of them being in the room with me and still taking a gentle(er) tone so the lady would corporate. 

"Y-yes, that umm. That makes sense. Right this way." She turned around and continued to walk, her pace now fast.

This police station was rather big as we walked down a hallway filled with different rooms — some for interrogation and some offices. I even saw one room I would guess is a break room due to there being some lounging officers and a fridge and pantry in there. Most rooms I could see in to, however, due to the glass being tinted or fogged up. 

"So this is the room you will give your statement in." The lady said, addressing me and stoping a door a little more than halfway down the hallways. "Inside is a social worker, her name is Cheyenne Fitz. She's very nice, so don't worry about that. She's just going to ask you a couple questions and then you'll be free to leave, no need to check out or anything you guys can just go home after."

I nodded my head, biting my lip and looking at the door, but I couldn't see inside due to the glass that was fogged up. I didn't hear whatever the lady said next due to my nerves and the sound of my heart beating in my ears but I caught a small goodbye and good luck from her — not that, that did anything to ease my nerves before she left us standing in the hallway, in front of a door I knew I didn't want to enter in.

You can do this, Jodee. You have to do this for Ace.

"Ready?" Ace whispered in my ear, but his eyes darted around, taking in everything around him and making it clear to me he was very uncomfortable speaking here.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." I nodded my head, wiping my sweaty hands on my pant covered legs.

"Leave?" We can leave. Ace checked with me for the umpteenth time today.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at how many times Ace wanted to make sure I didn't just want to go home. It was like he was the one who wanted to just leave and go home.

"No. I can do this. Lets just — lets just go inside."

Ace nodded his hand, kissing my forehead shortly before exchanging a look with Caleb I didn't catch and Caleb opened the door. We all stepped inside; Caleb, me, then Ace. I took in the room all at once. There was a long table in the room with a bunch of chairs around the table and a jug of water in the back left corner, but other than that the wall was barren. Not paintings, no photographs, nothing accepting the blue painted wood on the bottom and white on the top as the rest of the police station was painted.

On the far side of the big table sat a woman. Maybe in her 40s, not old but definitely not young. She had short reddish-brown hair with green eyes. And when she stood, her stature was short, non threatening, with a small and warm smile adorned her face as she looked at me. I didn't want to be rude and stare but there was something about her that I couldn't take my eyes away from. It was like she eluded warmth.