Chapter 53 - Coding

ACE POV

"Tell me what happened." I growl, letting my head rest on the top of the pillow and closing my eyes, groaning at the slight pain that continued to lace my chest.

I'm not a stranger to pain nor am I a stranger to hospitals. I've grown up with bruises, wounds that needed stitching, and broken bones. Just little gifts from my good-for-nothing father and the illegal activities I used to get into for money. Due to this and my mothers ongoing struggles with mental health and suicidal tendencies I have spent a great deal of time in a hospital and sometimes even in the hospital bed, when I was the patient.

Not to mention how many doctors appointments babies and kids have to go to. Let me tell you, I was shocked when raising Jodee and just seeing how many times they wanted to check things. It was annoying, but I guess necessary. I didn't complain to much because I just wanted her to be healthy.

But now that my sister is older and Caleb and I have risen to the top of these illegal activities, I spend less time in the hospital. Jodee doesn't need to go there as much and Caleb and I aren't really doing any of the dirty work.

I enjoy my work, hence why Caleb and I started our own gang once we moved to California. But I have to admit, sometimes, I miss the adrenaline of running from the cops or stealing something you know you could be killed for. I loved the rush, the risk, I thrived on it, I needed it. But now that I have something to loose — my life and my little sister — I have fixed those "self-destructive tendencies" as some doctors have told me before.

So, right now, being defenceless in the hospital. I'm a little uncomfortable. I'm a lot uncomfortable. 

"With you getting shot or the hospital..." Caleb trained off, unsure what I was asking.

Since I have woken up, my little sister has refused to leave my side — which I think is kinda cute, so I'm not complaining. But that does prove a problem for my friend and I. I know that I've been out for a couple days and have therefore missed some valuable information that I need to talk to Cal about, but that I don't want Jodee hearing.

Now is the only time we can talk because she's currently sleeping on my chest. 

That reminds me that I also have to talk to Caleb about how well he took care of my baby sister while I was unable too. She seems super tired, more than just one night of bad sleep will be do to you, and you can tell that she's been crying. So while we were laying together I insisted that she needed to try to go to sleep and she was out like a light in a matter of seconds.

"Fucking shot." I spat out the words. I knew how I got fucking shot:

I was doing a normal check in on some operations and getting an update from some people that manage the younger and newer members of my gang. Just to make sure that things are running how I want them to be. I'm kinda a control freak. And since this was supposed to be a quick thing, Caleb was going to come after me since he needed to go talk to Soltani about some gang that's been bothering him.

Apparently, Soltani claimed that some little and new gang has been messing with his drug shipments and even violently going after some of his men.

Well, I didn't believe him, at first, which is why I just sent Cal. But now I do.

Because those fuckers shot me.

While I was seeing to my day to day operations, there was a sharp shooter somewhere on a building who decided to go for the kill shot on me. And I'm fucking livid about it.

"Yeah." Caleb responded darkly, he was pissed too. "Well, our guys at the base got the fucking shooter. He's at the warehouse right now."

"Question him?" Have you questioned him?