11: Summa Cum laude dreams

I sat at the lobby tapping my hand concurrently on my lap, trying to keep my mind off the thought of eavesdropping on what was being discussed in the office.

It's been almost thirty minutes since Mrs Ford said she wanted to speak to I and Tyla. We followed her to her office and she called Tyla in first. I have been sitting at the lobby wondering what the discussion was all about.

Clank!.

The Office door opened and a grumpy Tyla walked back out. I wanted to ask what the woman had said but before I could ask. I got called too.

"Miss Sylvie come in"

I picked up my bag and then walked in.

"Good day Mrs Ford" I greeted a little bit nervous.

"Good day to you too Miss Sylvie. Please have your sit" I took my sit.

"I've checked your record. You really have been doing well in my classes. It shows you are a good student" She complimented.

"Thank you ma" It didn't come as a surprise. No narcissism attached but I've always been a straight A student right from time. It's a gift I can't discard.

She continued "it would be such a shame to see you lose such a good record. It could affect your record when you graduate"

"That's was why we agreed to the makeup test. We were hoping to gain our score back through it" I replied.

Mrs Ford shook her head " never to worry, I have got another means for you to make back you score and also earn a few bonus credits that could help in your college applications"

Hearing her say this. I suddenly had a bad premonition in my guts.

"You know the school would be publishing it's year magazine by the end of this term. We are reciprocated a lot of articles and reports from students to include in the magazine. I signed into you up for one of the report writing"

Okay?

"a report on the school basketball team"

What? The basketball team?

"ma'am_" she didn't let me finish.

"You just have to attend their practices and prep. I could give you a past magazine so that you see what is to be expected in your report. It's a little bit detailed but I'm sure you can manage"

I can manage? I can manage?!

"you're asking me to be the baseball team drudge" I spat out angrily.

She shook her head and said "not exactly"

Not exactly? Haha perfect way of not denying the truth.

"You just have to follow them around for their practices and their games. Don't worry I've informed the school authorities already and also their coach. You're more like a journalist or a paparazzi so no one would disturb you"

Was she even listening to herself?

Why does it sound like this was staged in the first place? Like she cut our mark and didn't show up for the test to have us accept her offers_ no her orders. Cause it clearly seems like she had planned everything out already. Even going ahead to inform the school before telling me.

"It's not a punishment so don't think about it too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it" She assured, not that it meant anything in the first place.

She gave a few more orders and suggestions which only made the whole assignment even more harder. What does having meals with the team got to do with writing a report on them. What about attending all their parties? First off attending any party was a no go for me and now she was asking for all? Was she trying to turn me into a party freak?

What direct experience makes the report plausible?

"Ma'am I don't think I can take this offer" I boldly refused.

"Every student in English class is expected to submit a report for their assessment anyways so just take this as yours. Besides I've registered your name already"

I tried bringing up diverse refute but she had a way to wave it off. At the end I could only walk out of her office with the same facial expression Tyla had worn when she walked out.

Now I understand why she looked like that. She must have been given an impossible task too.

"I'll be expecting your reports soon" Mrs Ford said to the both of us then closed the door behind her.

"That b*tch!" Tyla seethed when we were left alone.

"what did she ask you to do?" I asked Tyla curiously.

A sad look flashed past her eyes. She bent her head and mutter in a soft voice. "She want me to write a report on...on Surfing"

My eyes shot open monetarily. She was asked to report about surfing, it's no wonder why she looked downcast. Tyla's mother was a surfer, so Tyla was going to be reminded about her mother while researching for the report.

She didn't stay downcast for too long. A small appeared on her lips "It shouldn't be that hard. I already know so much about it so a few more facts and pointers would suffice. I am only mad cause I am being forced into doing what I don't want to. Anyways. What were you asked to do?"

"She literally just made me the school basketball team drudge." I complained.

"what?!" I could see her face lose it's and turn green at the same time. She was obviously really disgusted by the idea of being the Basketball team drudge.

"She really asked you to wait on the team?" She asked again in disbelief.

I shook my head "in her words 'not exactly'. She wants me to write a report on the team for the yearly magazine. To do that I have to stick around with them for a long... Long time." I didn't forget to make emphasis on the long period.

No lie. It was really going to be a long period. Like the basketball team weren't planning on having their big game anytime soon. It was mainly towards the end of the Academic term. And that was estimately over A month.

"That woman is really something else! How can she make you do this? Isn't there a law that speaks about labour enforcement or something. Perhaps you should go tell the school management" She suggested resolutely. She had totally forgotten about her own task all because of mine. If I could read minds I'm sure I would hear her screaming 'that's disgusting!', cause her face said it all.

"Apparently the school authorities are aware already and they sanctioned it. She claims i would just be acting the paparazzi and would not be disturbed"

Tyla sighed "Aiyo I really don't envy you at this point. Perhaps should we just skip the score and live our lives?"

Skip the scores?

No way! I'm a straight A student. Missing so much marks would definitely look bad on my record. It that happens doesn't that that was the end.

Dad's Valedictorian and Summa Cum laude dreams would be disrupted.

"Like you said, it shouldn't be that hard right?" I smiled.