Part 6

Chapter Nine

At break the following day, Lincoln was putting his new books into his new locker.  His uniform felt restrictive.  He had given up with his tie after half an hour and it was stuffed in his pocket.

"Lincoln Taylor" He heard a voice behind him.

He turned to see a tall man with a severe haircut standing in front of him with his arms crossed.

"Yeah" said Lincoln.

"I am Mr Adams, Assistant Head.  I didn't get a chance to catch up with you.  I believe we need to have a chat."

"Save it" said Lincoln, instantly irritated.  "All the other teachers have already been on at me.  I don't need another lecture."

Lincoln slammed his locker and picked his bag up.

Mr Adams looked angry.

"Don't talk to me like that!" he boomed. 

"Whatever" said Lincoln, moving to go.

"I am talking to you, young man" said Adams, stepping in front of him. "Unless you prefer to finish this chat in detention?"

Lincoln shrugged.

"Have it your way, after school detention for 15minutes tonight".   Mr Adams looked smug.

 "Like I care" snapped Lincoln.

 "Maybe you will care about 30 minutes!"

Lincoln snorted and began to walk away.

"Don't walk away from me" snapped Adams.

"Watch me" shouted Lincoln without turning around.

"45 minutes" shouted Adams, his face red as a phone box.

"Big deal" Lincoln turned and scowled at him.  "Why not make it an hour? I'm not busy."

Lincoln began to walk away.

"An hour it is" he heard Mr Adams say as he walked down the hallway.

After school, Kat called his name as he came down the corridor.

"Walking home now?" she asked.

"Nah, I've got a detention." He said.