Part 21

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Lincoln sat, cigarette in hand on the bench in the woodland.  In this hand was a freshly written letter, signed, stamped and waiting to be sent.  Lincoln had given up e-mailing and texting Jason as he wasn't responding.  He never had credit and his Mum usually smoked all of their money away so their landline was rarely connected.  In the letter he told him about everything – about him being beaten up as well as how much he missed London and hanging out with everyone.  Finishing his cigarette, he headed out of the woodland and back towards home.  He posted the letter into the post box by the fountain.  His mind was filled with so many conflicting thoughts.  He had seen Kramer around school the last few days and he knew that he was trying to find out information about who the attackers might be.  He was so angry about Kramer's interference but the fact that he couldn't do anything about any of it, enraged him more.

After dinner that evening, Lincoln heard the doorbell ring.  A few moments later, Sam called up the stairs to him.  "Lincoln, you have a visitor."

He swung himself off the bed and headed towards the hum of voices.  He opened the living room door to see Sam inside with Kramer.  Lincoln scowled at the policeman. 

"How are you feeling today Lincoln?" asked Kramer brightly.

"What do you want?" said Lincoln abruptly.

"Lincoln!" chastised Sam, setting him with a glare.

Kramer put a hand up.

"Don't worry about it Sam.  I just wanted to have a chat with you.  Sam you can stay for this, it won't take long."

They all sat down.

"Now Lincoln, this is the last time I am going to ask you to tell me who attacked you."

Lincoln sighed while he lied.  "I told you already, I have no idea."

Kramer sighed as well.  "Well, this is the deal.  I have been doing my homework and I now have a pretty good idea who I think did this.  These names ring any bells:  Theo Parker, Nathan Cassidy, Kyle Bedford, Luke Price, Toby Peterson and Connor."

Lincoln tried to hide his surprise.  Kramer had done well to get them all spot on.

"So are these the guys?"

Lincoln shrugged.  "Could have been.  Could have been anyone, they wore masks" reiterated Lincoln slowly.

Kramer paused.  "Look, this is how it is.  Right now I don't have evidence to say that these boys did it.  But I know that they did.  Without your word, I can't charge them.  Rick obviously didn't do a very good job in getting you to talk."

Lincoln stopped him. "Are you telling me Luca was meant to be getting info out of me to give to you?"

"Sure" said Kramer.

Lincoln felt betrayed – his own friend against him.  His heart hurt.