Part 19

Chapter Twenty-Six

Friday came and Sam and Debs refused for him to go to school.  He was in a lot of pain so didn't protest too much.  By afternoon he was so bored that he decided to go and see Mr Cassidy.  No-one was in the shop as he lifted the counter. 

"Mr C?" he called towards the back room.

The door to the store room opened suddenly as Mr Cassidy came backing out with a box of goods.

"Lincoln, give me a hand, would you?" he said, his back to Lincoln.

"I would but I don't think I can" said Lincoln.

He plonked the box down on the counter.  "Why?" he asked, looking up.

As he caught sight of Lincoln, he gasped.  "Sweet Jesus, what happened?"

"It is a long story" said Lincoln. "Basically, I was beaten up."

"I can see that" said Mr Cassidy, "Who did this?"

Lincoln looked away.  "I can't tell you."

Mr Cassidy looked at him from under his brow.

"Does this have anything to do with Abbie?"

Lincoln's head snapped up.

"How did you...?"

"I may be old but I am quite perceptive" said Mr Cassidy.

"If I tell you, do you promise not to repeat it?"

Mr Cassidy made the cross the heart gesture.

"It was some boys from school – Nathan was with them, and Abbie's old boyfriend.  They wanted me to stop talking to Abbie" confided Lincoln.

Mr Cassidy looked astonished.  "Nathan did this?  I am disgusted."

He grabbed his keys.

"That is it.  I am going to have a word with him myself"

"No Mr C, you promised.  Please just leave it alone. I have enough pressure from Sam."

Mr Cassidy calmed down. 

"I can't promise I will be able to hold off giving that boy a thick ear forever."  Mr Cassidy sighed. 

"Well" he said, his tone lightening, "You aren't going to be much good to me for a few days.  Go on, get off home."

Lincoln ignored the glances from passer-bys as he walked home from the shop.  He let himself in and walked into the lounge.  He considered leaving when he saw Connor was in there, but decided he hadn't been the one in the wrong; he wouldn't hide out upstairs.