Part 14

Chapter Eighteen

Sunday morning and he came down the stairs whistling a tune of his own composition.  The rest of the family were eating breakfast.  They were all dressed smartly to go to church.  Lincoln nodded to them and got himself a drink and sat down next to Connor, still whistling.

Sam looked at him with amused curiosity.

"What has gotten into you all of a sudden?" He asked.

"Abbie Cassidy" muttered Connor.  Lincoln dug him in the ribs.

"Nothing Sam" said Lincoln smiling.

"Are you working today?" asked Debs, "I need to know if I should leave you some dinner."

"Nope" replied Lincoln, "Hey that is another reason to be happy!"  He chuckled to himself.

"Seeing as though you are in such a good mood, maybe you would like to come to church with us?" said Sam.

"Nobody can be that happy Sam" joked Lincoln.

"Don't knock it.  The church really made me realise what I was doing wrong in my life.  Life has been great ever since.  I think Jesus could really help you turn your life around and cope with your loss."

Lincoln gave Sam a look.  Sam had needed Jesus to help him realise he shouldn't cheat on his wife.  Please.

"Look Sam, I don't believe in God.  Full stop.  And I don't need to turn my life around, unless Jesus can help me get away from you."  Lincoln stood up.  "Thanks for ruining my good mood."

Monday has gone by fast, thought Lincoln as he put his books in his locker while Dale and James waited.  He hadn't seen Abbie all day.  He had had to see a teacher at lunchtime and he didn't have time to do anything but eat after that.  He had told the guys about their Saturday date.

"Hey Good Looking" he turned to see Abbie standing there.

"Hey" he said, kissing her on the cheek.

"You know Dale and James, right?"

"Sure, we have been in some of the same classes over the years" said Abbie. 

"How are you two?"

"Great" said Dale.

"Yeah" agreed James.  He made a show of looking at his watch.  "Oh look at the time.  We had better go home and get started on that chemistry homework" said James, picking up his bag.

"What Chemistry?" asked Dale, not catching on.  "Oh Chemistry, right!  Yeah.  Bye guys!"