Part 24

Chapter Thirty-One

Lincoln grasped Abbie's hand as they walked back from school.  She had been mortified about Sam catching them in a compromising position but was becoming able to laugh about it.  Abbie had chuckled when Lincoln told her how he had had to endure a sex talk.  He hadn't mentioned the end of that conversation though.  Lincoln hadn't spoken to Sam about what had happened between them on Saturday nor about his flyaway comment.  He hoped it could just be left.

They walked in the direction of the shop as they did every day, with Abbie dropping Lincoln off at work and then hanging round.  As they walked into town, a voice spoke loudly from behind.

"Look at the arse on that."

Lincoln spun around ready to punch whoever had talked about his girlfriend so rudely.

A boy in baggy jeans and a smirk stood in front of them.

Lincoln ran at him and threw his arms around him in a hug.

The boy pushed him back. 

"Is this country life making you soft now?"

He grinned and grabbed Lincoln by the hand and pulled him in to bump shoulders.

"Jason!" exclaimed Lincoln, "What are you doing here man?

"Checking up on you fool" He slapped Lincoln on the back.

"It is great to see you" said Lincoln.

"This your girl?" Jason nodded to Abbie.

He'd forgotten about her for the minute.

"Shit, sorry.  Abbie, this is Jason, a friend from back home."

"Hey" she said, shyly.

"Hey" said Jason.

"So how come you are out of London?  You always said you hated clean air" quipped Lincoln.

"Got your letter bro" 

Lincoln remembered how he had sent it after he had gotten beaten up.  Lincoln nodded.

"Shit man, I almost forgot.  Got you a present."

Jason dug into his pocket and held out a bag of weed.

Lincoln laughed.

"Most people bring chocolates."

"Well, I didn't know what your supply was like up here man.  Let's go spark it."