Chapter 2 - Warzone

( - Kreek POV - )

How did he know?? I wondered as Rank 3 disappeared into the trees, leaving a few trees crumbling to ashes behind him. How did he know where I was assigned to be tomorrow? Has Rank 3 been spying on us?!

I glanced up at the brightly-shining, silver circle in the sky, which had now been partially tinted due to a ghostly cloud shaped in the form of pale, translucent claws slicing through the magnetic night sky.

I don't feel safe anymore...

- time skip -

The next day, I reluctantly headed to the BedWars war zone. This was only my second time going there. I was a bit nervous, since the Rank 3 monster had said that we would cross paths again there. Speaking of the Rank 3 monster, he looked familiar somehow. I knew that he causes a lot of chaos and such, and no one sees him often, but I swear I'd seen him before the encounter last night.

I'm sure everything will be fine. I tried to reassure myself as I headed into the snowy, arctic-like part of the war zone. It was hailing-a lot-so I knew it would be difficult to spot my enemies. However, I'd been stationed here because most of the powerful, top-rank monsters usually stayed around this area.

I was known for my rank, which I'd forged my way to. It had certainly been a challenge to get to where I was now, killing an endless amount of monsters-I'd killed too many of those fowl creatures to count.

Suddenly, claws raked my shoulder. I spun around and sliced off the monster's arm with my sword. It screeched in pain and disappeared before I could kill it.

Before I could react, I was tripped, and more claws raked down my back. I winced in pain. The monster who'd done this stood over me, grinning maniacally. I quickly slashed its neck. The monster screamed as it toppled over, crimson-red blood pouring from its fresh injury.

Suddenly, my sword was yanked from my hands, and another monster stood over me. I recognized it as the 5th most powerful monster. It was about to kill me. Accepting death, I closed my eyes and simply laid there, bleeding out onto the ground and staining the snow red with my own scarlet blood. But, as I was fading out of consciousness, another monster's voice cried out, sounding enraged. I heard another monster come to stand over me, arguing with the monster who'd taken my sword.

Are they fighting over who gets to kill me? I wondered, opening my eyes. I saw the Rank 3 monster from yesterday furiously arguing with the Rank 5 monster. The Rank 3 monster grabbed onto the Rank 5 monster and began choking them. The Rank 5 monster screamed in rage, then struggled out of the Rank 3 monster's grip and disappeared into the snowstorm.

The Rank 3 monster stood over me and gazed down at me with an unreadable, masked-expression-literally. Rank 3 always wore a mask for some reason, hiding his face and his expression.

To my surprise, the Rank 3 monster picked me up and began trudging through the snow with me being carried in his arms. Wait, what?

"Sorry," the Rank 3 monster apologized suddenly, "but knocking you out will make things much easier for me, aight? So don't panic. I'm going to get you help."

"Wait!" I struggled, but I was swiftly knocked out before I could do much.

I woke up in a surprisingly warm place. I was laying on a soft, leather couch. It was fairly dark, which caused me to immediately notice that the room had no windows.

A fire crackled softly nearby. Although, I noticed that the fire had royal-blue-coloured flames instead of red and orange flames-the colours that normal fires contained.

Where...am I? I wondered, sitting up. I glanced around. The place seemed to be some sort of large, old, wooden cabin. I could still hear wind roaring outside, so I assumed I was still somewhere at least near the war zone I'd been taken from.

"Oh, hey, you're awake." a familiar voice commented. I practically jumped, surprised. The Rank 3 monster had walked into the room, his black mask that he usually wore off. He had glittering blue eyes, and a long scar covering most of his face. The only "monstrous" thing about him really was his dark blue horns and claws.

"A-am I dead?" I asked.

"Hah, nah." the Rank 3 monster replied with a laugh.

"This is your place?" I guessed.

The rank 3 monster nodded. "Yep. It's a cabin I stay in whenever I'm near the tundra war zone."

"What's your name?" I questioned. "And why didn't you kill me?"

"Well...I suppose I'll answer all your questions now, rather than later..."