Chapter 9 - The Truth

( - TanqR POV - )

"Wha...WH-WHAT?!" I stuttered, turning back around to stare at Kreek. "Pardon?"

"Being a monster doesn't...well...seem that bad, to be honest." Kreek admitted.

Oh god, I hope he doesn't go down this route. He even tried to kill his friend. I get that it's instinct to survive, but... I thought. This is my fault, isn't it? I wish I could've been there to stop Mini. Dammit! And to think I let my guard down when I passed out! Instead of helping Kreek, I had passed out! It's all my fault! I could've—

"No, it's not your fault. There's nothing you could've done." Kreek interrupted my thoughts.

"H-Huh?" I stumbled back. "Did you just...read my mind?"

Kreek nodded. "It's one of my abilities."

"...no, you..." I trailed off, in shock.

Did he just say...abilities? But...that's impossible! I was turned by force, too, yet I'm the same as every other monster. I've never seen anyone with more than one ability, but I have heard rumours. No, he must be mistaken... I shook my head.

"I'm not mistaken. I have multiple abilities." Kreek said. Words formed in my mouth, but I just stared at Kreek. The hailstorm raged on around us.

"But...the rumours are fake, there's no way..." I started.

"Mini was saying the same thing. What are you guys hiding from me? What myths are rumours?" Kreek asked. When I didn't reply, he grabbed me by the shoulders. "What are you guys hiding from me?" Kreek repeated. He shook me.

"I...I heard some rumours...a few years ago...about this—this group of monsters who had multiple abilities. Of course, I didn't believe it. But Mini did. So he looked into it more. I decided to question him about it, in which I found out that the Rank 1 monster is a multiability. He's the only one in existence. And I don't believe he has any relatives." I explained everything I knew about the rumours and myths.

"Where can I find the Rank 1?" Kreek questioned.

"I don't know," I admitted. "No one has seen him eye-to-eye."

"I'm going to search." Kreek declared.

"What? That's impossible. You'll never find the Rank 1. Besides, what happens when your instincts take over and you kill one of your friends?" I challenged. Kreek gave me a fierce look, and his eyes glowed for a moment. Pain exploded inside of me, and I sank to my knees with a gasp of pain.

"What happened?" Kreek questioned.

"...I don't know." I admitted. "I think you did that, though."

"Oh...sorry. I'm still getting used to my abilities." Kreek apologized.

Damn, it must be nice to have multiple abilities. It's not fair that he gets multiple, and is able to do whatever he wants, while the rest of us fight for our lives—either in the war zone, or against the RWMO. Heck, he used to be in the RWMO, and now he's suddenly all-powerful. I thought bitterly. I practically jumped when Kreek started speaking again.