Chapter 4

Dream was feeding Hope--his Macaw Phoenix hybrid-- some treats when suddenly Ink waltzed into the throne room confidently. Dream was so startled he fell off his throne. He brought his  head up to the sight of his bird and best friend looking down at him.

Ink stared at him blankly.

"Pff-"

Ink burst out laughing.

Dream felt embarrassed and quickly stood up. He looked at Ink who was still laughing at him.  He liked his laugh. Dream quickly composed himself to be professional, if only Ink could do the same.

When Ink finally calmed down, he noticed his large smile and softly smiled back.

"Ink, is there a reason you came here?"

Although he would never admit it, he enjoyed the fact that Ink came all the way from his small town to meet him. This time was no exception, the only difference was that he hadn’t written to him to come. He was welcomed of course, but it was a pleasant surprise.

"Yeah… Dream, I want to do the mission!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ink was excited to tell Dream that he wanted to go--despite his feelings earlier in the week.

He was so excited that he gave up writing to him within the first words and headed out. Leaving Splotches with plenty of food of course.

When he arrived he was impatient and just strolled in, causing Dream to fall face-first onto the ground. He couldn’t help himself when he laughed. After calming down, he looked at Dream  who had a small friendly smile on his face.

After telling Dream his decision, he expected him to be happy with it. However, Dream looked conflicted.

"Hey, what’s wrong?", he asked his best friend.

Dream brought himself back to reality.

"Apologies Ink, I spaced out. But are you sure you want to do this? You don’t need to if you don’t want to…", Dream looked worried. At least that’s what he thought, he was never the best with emotions.

Ink stared at Dream with a deadpan expression.

"Obviously, I want to go! I wouldn’t ask if I didn’t, wouldn’t I?" Dream did not know if that was a rhetorical or a genuine question, he couldn’t tell when it came to Ink.

"I apologize Ink-"

"Why are you apologizing? You did nothing wrong, I was just messing with you, don’t worry about it." He didn’t want his best friend to feel bad for a joke. Ink smiled reassuringly at Dream and Dream smiled back.

"Thank you, Ink"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dream regrets telling Ink about the mission.

Not that he doubts Ink, quite the contrary. It was the fact that Ink wanted to go alone that worried him the most.

What if Ink got into a situation where he needed help?

He even refused to go with Blue! Ink and Blue were friends too. So why would he reject the thought of bringing one of his best friends?

Ink did not look hesitant or nervous, but what if it was a facade? Ink tended to not think about his feelings after all. He shuddered at the memory.

Dream wants to keep Ink safe. He just doesn’t know how.

"Ink, this is a dangerous mission. Are you sure you will be able to go alone?", He asked hoping to change Ink’s mind. Knowing that he couldn’t.

He wished he could go with Ink, but he knew that being the only ruler of his kingdom meant that he would have no time.

Ink just stared at him with the most happy expression on his face. He ignored the blush on his face.

"I already told you silly! Of course I do!" He exclaimed.

Dream just sighed.

"Okay Ink, I'll let you go alone."

Ink perked up

"However, if you're ever in need of my help, have this."

Dream walked over towards Ink and handed him a feather.

The feather itself was one of Hope's feathers. It had fallen out naturally, and Dream liked collecting the fallen feathers for this very reason.

The feather, if used magic on, could be used as a calling device for not only him but also his bird.

"This feather will allow you to call for help in case you need it", he told Ink with a serious expression.

"How does it work?", Ink asked while caressing the feather with childlike wonder.

"Most would need an enchantment, since they are not familiar with magic. However, I know that is not the same for you. So all you need to do is grab the feather and think about what you want to tell us."

"Wait, why does it work for me without an enchantment?"

"Oh, it's simply because you're already a magical being!"

Dream grabbed him by the shoulders and gave him a soft look.

"Good luck Ink"

Ink returned the look.

"Thanks Dream"