Chapter 8

As Cross watched Ink and Splotches play in the lake, he started to think.

If he had to be honest, he hasn’t had a lot of time to think about anything really. With his title of a hunter, he was more focused on not dying. Watching the two others, he thought about his life.

The creatures of the forest were no play things, he knew of their power. And even with this information, he fought on. Learning to adapt to the environment and about the creatures in the area and out. It was still tough of course, that would never change, but it was easier than when he first arrived.

It had its perks.

He didn’t need to follow orders. He didn’t need to stay in a large castle that still somehow felt so suffocating. He could make his own rules around here.

While he was in danger a lot, he felt more free.

After all, being under his rule was a lot more suffocating.

---

They were walking now. Ink didn’t want to waste much time(Splotches was the exception!). He had to hold the urge to paint and collect everything in sight.

He had the way through the forest engraved in his memory(his scarf).

He raised his head from his scarf and noticed Cross staring at Splotches.

It wasn’t a hostile look, more like a calculating one. He smiled to himself. Maybe they could get along!

“Ink, Where are we going?” Cross asked, had he forgotten to tell him? Knowing his memory, it was likely.

“Well, my friend back at home wanted me to get something!” Ink smiled at the thought of Dream. He put all the details of the mission on his scarf.

The artifact was an emergency in case one of the brothers died. It made sure both sides existed, it couldn’t help anyone feel a certain way though. According to Dream, it was created by his mother, and several others made projects trying to find the thing. It shocked him how Dream didn’t even know about it as long as they did and still found it faster, especially since he couldn't use his aura to find it.

“A friend?” Cross asked with a different tone in his voice.

“Oh yeah! My friend Dream! He’s the royal of the kingdom I reside in. He’s pretty nice too. We talk a lot through letters. He has been pretty stressed lately. So I’m sure that this favor will be worth it.”

He could tell he had a huge smile on his face, he always did when he talked about his friends.

Unlike Ink, however, Cross had a noticeable frown.

“Hey. What's wrong?” Asked Ink, worried for his friend.

“Must be nice…to have friends I mean.” Cross clarified. Ink brightened at the mention of his friends.

“Yeah! It is. It just used to be me and Brommie on our own, but now I have two best friends. I could introduce them to you if you’d like?” He asked Cross, it would be great to have all of his friends get along! At least, he hoped they would get along.

“Huh?” Was his only response.

“Well, I like introducing my friends to each other. And since you’re my friend and they’re my friends I should introduce you!” He could already imagine his friends' reactions. Dream would be nervous at first, but eventually he would warm up. Blue would immediately try to be friendly.

Cross looked shocked by the explanation. Then he gave Ink a small smile, “Thanks Ink.”

“You’re welcome!” Ink responded, “even if I don’t know what I did…” he mumbled.

Movement was heard in front of them. They both faced each other before looking at where the noise was coming from.

Two large skeletal hands came out and parted the bushes away from each other. And a skeleton that resembled a werewolf soon followed.

The monster was tall, the tallest he’s ever seen. He had ripped clothes and a huge hole in his skull, however it didn’t look like a current problem, more like an old scar. And if it was, the monster wasn’t showing it. Before spotting Ink, he had a neutral face, but as soon as he spotted Ink, it was replaced by a huge, sharp grin. It was unsettling.

Ink was immediately shoved behind Cross, who stood in front of him protectively.

The monster looked shocked at Cross before he started to growl.

“You came back after leaving us, huh?” Ink froze after hearing that, ‘what does he mean?’ he thought.

“I didn’t come to you, you came to me, Horror. Why are you here?” Cross’ voice was the angriest he's ever heard it.

Horror gave a low chuckle, “I didn’t come for you…I came for your little friend…” Both Cross and Ink froze at that. Horror changed his stare from Cross to Ink, “Sorry, King’s order…” that was the only warning they got before he lunged.

Luckily, Cross acted like he expected it with how fast he countered.

Splotches perked up from his shoulder, after shaking off his shock he firmly told Splotches to hide in his scarf. He made sure his satchel was firmly placed on his body, he wouldn’t want to accidentally lose it in battle.

He used Broomie for long range attacks because he didn’t want to get caught, afterall Horror had revealed that he was there for him.

Both his and Cross’ efforts were thankfully succeeding in pushing Horror back. Unfortunately for all three of them, they forgot they weren't alone in the forest.

BLAST!

They all moved away from the blinding, white beam. As soon as it cleared, Ink could see the clear fear in Horror’s single eye and Cross’ still body.

ROAR!

The glitching dragon was back, and it looked even angrier than before. In the corner of his eyes, he could see Horror moving away. And as a last resort to intimidate, Cross raised his weapons. Unfortunately, the dragon didn’t see it that way at all.

He was about to check on Horror but as soon as he looked in his direction, Horror fled. He sighed.

Cross looked like he was ready to run, and Ink was ready to run with him. But the dragon was stopping them from doing so.

It looked like he and Cross got the same idea as they both raised their weapons, ready to defend themselves and each other. The dragon's eyes narrowed and he striked.

Why couldn't he just do his mission in peace?

Sorry I took so long to write this update! Finding my motivation to write(and the writing itself) is hard. :')