Chapter 7

When Cross agreed to stay with Ink, he did not consider this a possibility.

He had woken up a few minutes prior, with his back turned to face Ink. He slowly got up and turned to check if Ink was awake yet.

He jumped at the sight that greeted him instead.

There, where Ink should have been, was a juvenile hydra.

All three heads were staring at him.

He quickly stood up and grabbed his daggers.

He was always afraid of any dragon species. They could be unpredictable and were a danger. (The only thing that scared him more was cows, respectively.)

They were the only creature he didn’t hunt, because if he tried, he would be the one to be hunted.

Then he realized Ink’s absence.

What happened to him? Where was he? Did the Hydra get him?

While the hydra was small, it was still a hydra. And from what he’s seen of him, Ink didn’t seem like someone who could fend off a hydra.

He raised his daggers while looking at the exit. The hydra’s heads all started to growl at the sight of the daggers.

The exit was blocked by the hydra, but he thought of taking it by surprise with a quick attack.

He took a step back preparing to run. He grabbed onto his daggers more tightly and-

“Hey, guys!”

Ink emerged from the entrance with his sketchbook in hand.

He quickly paused at the sight of Cross and Splotches in a fighting stance.

His eyes had turned into a purple square and a green exclamation mark. Cross wondered how his eye lights change.

“Ink! Where were you!?” Cross was worried about him after all.

“Ink!”

Ink was currently approaching the hydra. Cross wanted to reach out but one of the hydra’s heads was glaring at him, almost daring him to move.

Then something unexpected happened.

Ink had picked up the hydra! What was he thinking?

Wait a minute…

The hydra seemed fine with Ink holding it. As soon as it was picked up it cuddled closer to Ink.

“Ink?”, What kind of witchcraft did Ink partake in to tame the best?!

“Heya Cross! I forgot to mention my trusty companion Splotches!” Ink held up ‘Splotches’ in his arms.

‘Splotches’ response to being picked up wasn't to roar in anger and attack but instead to chirp loudly.

“Ink, that thing in your hands is not some pet you can just pick up and deem tame!” He was getting frustrated, and admittedly, a little scared.

Ink just stared at him with an annoyed look.

“They only attack what I tell them to!”

Okay…that was not reassuring in the slightest.

“Besides, look at them! Worst they could do is rip off your arms!” Ink held them higher for emphasis.

Someone needs to give Ink a lesson on reassurance here, because every time he tries Cross’ worries double.

Ink crouched and placed Splotches on the ground.

Cross screamed. (It was NOT girly, don’t ask Ink.)

Both Ink and Splotches jumped at the sound.
Ink quickly picked up Splotches in response.

“Stop screaming! You’re gonna scare Splotches!” Splotches was just staring at Cross with the most deadpan expression seen on a creature.

Cross cleared his throat and walked closer.

Ink narrowed his eyesockets at him.

“Ink, you can’t keep them! They aren’t a pet!”

Ink’s eye lights turned into a red target and an orange square.

“Isn’t like I can release them into the wild, they’ve lived with me all their lives.”

Cross could tell that Ink was attached to Splotches. He was protectively holding them, while Splotches was curled up.

Why would he take it in the first place?

When he voiced his thoughts, Ink simply responded with “Technically I didn’t know they would be a hydra”. Cross paused his movements.

Ink took the opportunity to move out of the tent and toward the lake. Cross soon realized they were moving and ran after them.

Ink sat near the shore in a criss-cross position and placed Splotches in the water. He stood nearby and came closer when he saw the hydra swim farther.

Ink silently glanced at Cross when he sat next to him. Cross ignored the lake and looked at Ink.

“How did you not know that Splotches was a hydra?” He asked quietly. “They were in an egg when I found them.” Ink responded. Cross was even more confused, Hydras were also protective of their eggs. Was Splotches abandoned? Why? Clearly, Ink didn’t know the answer either, and he didn’t care enough to find out.

“I found the egg while searching for herbs in a nearby forest when I still traveled. There was no nest, not on the ground and not in the trees, just an egg. I took it with me to my tent and I planned to keep it with me until it hatched. I wanted to know what the creature was before trying to find a plan to care for it. When Splotches hatched I was distraught, I didn’t know what to do. They imprinted on me, and I wasn’t sure if I was ready. But I did it anyway because they were the only thing I had at the time. And I’m glad I did…”

Ink turned his body to him, tears in his eye sockets.

“Please, don’t take them from me…”

And for once, he agreed.