Gone Wrong

"Okay, what's our story?"

"Really?"

Chris frowned. "I don't want to make an idiot of myself"

"There's a turkey on your chest. I think it's too late for that"

Chris looked down at the turkey on his jumper. "I think I look good"

"Of course you look good"

"You've complimented my jumpers before"

"Yeah, worked in my favour didn't it?"

"All you want me for is my body"

You smiled at him. "Now you're getting it"

"As your fake boyfriend, I need some context"

How did you get here? One minute you and Chris were chilling playing video games and the next you asked him to be your fake date to impress your family. Chris never said no and you expected this to be your first, but he surprised you everyday.

You and Chris became best friends since you met when he was in L.A. Always teasing each other, sarcastic comments. It wasn't always fun and games. Sometimes you both needed a friend and you were the first to arrive to comfort the other person.

The first time Chris came over with bruised knuckles, you didn't question it, you led him upstairs to get him cleaned up. Chris helped you when you forgot to print your midterm papers.

"Why is this so important?"

"I'm a loser"

"No you're not"

"To them, I am" you pointed at the house in front of you. "I've been focused on school and getting good grades and I did it. But it means nothing to them when I don't have a partner"

"They don't sound good"

"They're all I have"

"You didn't have to come"

"Didn't I? They bother me and know where I go to school. No escaping"

Chris sighed. "We don't have to go in"

You sighed, knowing you promised him a home cooked meal.

"Do you want to leave?"

"If you want to" he shrugged. "We can go back to the apartment and get pizza and watch movies"

You slowly warmed up to the idea of leaving, but snapped out of it when the door opened.

"Mom wants to know when you're coming in" your brother shouted.

"Too late to run" you mumbled.

"We're in this together, right?"

"Right"

"What's our safe word?" Chris asked, reaching down to take your hand in his.

"Uh..." you tried not to focus on the warmth of his hands and how safe you felt. "Stuffing"

"Is there stuffing with this meal?"

"No, my brother is allergic"

"Okay, that's our word"

Everyone had a smile on their face and you knew none of them were directed at you.

"Honey" you cringed at the word and Chris caught it. "Great to see you. Have you put on weight?"

You pulled away. "No, still the same. Thanks for the confidence boost"

"Who's this? He seems too handsome to be with you"

"She's the beautiful one. I had to beg her to date me"

"You should've escaped when you had the chance" Your Mom commented, patting his arm.

Chris frowned and looked at you as you kneeled in front of two children. He went down next to you, making the little girl look at you.

"Who's he?"

"This is my boyfriend, Chris"

"I'm Maya"

"Hi, Maya. I like your necklace"

"I like your eyes"

Chris smiled. "Thank you"

"Y/N, stop stalling and come say hello to everyone" You sighed, hearing your Dad from the kitchen.

"Ready, Chris?"

"I've got you"

You smiled, grateful to have him.

With every minute that passed, Chris got more and more annoyed. He hated how you were treated and how you let it happen.

You were all sitting at the table, dinner nearly finished, when he felt himself near his breaking point.

"Hey, what are you majoring in again?"

You smiled. "Oh-"

"Don't get her started" your dad interrupted before you could speak. "God knows we finally got her to stop talking"

"It's boring and it isn't hard to do. She's not the brightest" Your mom commented.

Chris saw you frown at your plate and that's when he had enough. "No!"

"Chris, it's fine" You looked at him, pleading with him to stop.

"Stuffing"

"It's a joke" someone else commented.

Chris scoffed. "You all treat her like crap. She's the best person I've ever met. She's always been there when I needed her. Now, we are leaving. Thank you for this. Come on, Y/N, let's go"

You stayed still, shocked how he defended you. Chris looked at you, but you froze, pushing the chair as you stood up.

"If you walk out that door, don't come crawling back when he breaks your heart"

Chris reached his hand out for you to take. You grabbed his hand and let him pull you out of the house.

"You okay?"

"Yeah" you sat back in the car, letting the silence fill the air as you drove back to your apartment

Before you knew it, you were parked outside your apartment.

"Can I walk you up?"

You nodded. "Chris?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you stay over?"

A smile took over his face. "Of course I will"

They walk right next to each other, taking the stairs together, knowing the elevator never works. You notices how you both walk in sync, smiling down at this silly thing that brings you more joy than your family ever did.

Chris stepped back as you unlocked the door. You watched as Chris walked in, putting his jacket on the chair, made his way to the living room, grabbed the remote and threw his favourite blanket over himself.

"Get in here"

You took your shoes off and got under the blanket with him. "What movie is it?"

"Your favourite"

"I know it's your favourite because your searching for a love like that"

Tears threatened to spill from your eyes. "I think I found it"

Chris' eyes widened in surprise.

"I love you and I'm done fighting it. You're too good for me, but I want to be selfish for once"

Chris cupped your face in his hands. "You're not selfish, you're  perfect"

You shook your head. "I'm not good enough, but I'll try"

"You are and I'll spend my life reminding you"

"Chris, do you-?"

"What?"

"I love you" you admitted.

"I love you too"