Insecure

Chris was insecure.

Thirty minutes ago, he was confused. Fifteen minutes ago, he was angry and now, he was sad.

You and Chris arrived to Nate's birthday a few hours ago, glued to the hip as you made your way through the venue. You were inseparable all night, always one with the other as you talked to friends, got drinks or danced.

That was until Sam showed up, Nate's annoyingly handsome cousin.

He hadn't left you alone.

Chris left your side for five minutes, to go to the bathroom, and as he walked back into the space, he saw you throwing your head back laughing as you stood with Sam.

Chris watched from the distance, pretending to talk to Matt, as his eyes were on you, watching you smile as Sam told you a story. Sam stepped closer to you when you closed your eyes to laugh.

The anger in Chris faded and turned into insecurity, watching as Sam made you laugh and all he could think about was how easy your life would be with him.

Sam could always be there for you. He could go wherever you wanted to go and he wouldn't leave you for months on end like Chris had to.

"Go over there" Matt laughed, gesturing to you with the drink in his hand. "You've just been staring at her"

"I can't" Chris sighed. "She deserves someone like him, someone who's always there for her and that's not me. She's having fun, I don't want to ruin it-"

"Are you crazy?" Matt laughed, shoving Chris. "I've never seen two people more in love than you two. You have nothing to be insecure about"

He felt silly feeling his heart race as he approached his girlfriend of two years as if it was going to be the first time he'd ever be speaking to the beautiful girl.

"Hey" he said, standing beside you, before glancing at Sam, giving him a soft smile. "Sorry, there was a long line in the bathroom"

"That's okay, babe" you assured. You noticed his behaviour, so you laced your fingers in his. "Sam was just telling me stories about him and Nate as kids. I'm sure you have some!"

"I have a lot" Chris laughed, shifting under Sam's gaze, making him struggle to find the words.

You furrowed your eyebrows, utterly confused by how much his demeanor had changed since before he went to the bathroom, not his usually confident and charismatic behavior. You looked at him, giving him a confused look, before you apologised to Sam and walked away. Chris followed you like a lost puppy.

You lead him out of the party, into the coat room where the sound drowned out through the walls.

"What's wrong?" You frowned, resting one hand on his chest. "Did something happen?"

He shrugged, wrapping his arms around your waist and pulling you close. "I need a hug" he whispered. "Do you like Sam more than me?"

"What?" You laughed, but stopped instantly when you saw the hurt on his face. "No! I don't know anything about him. I love you, Chris. Why do you think that?"

"I don't know" he whispered. "You were laughing and you looked so happy....I just...a guy like that could always be there for you and I'll never be that, I'll always be busy-"

You cut him off, snuggling your face into his chest and rubbed his back. You went on your tip toes, kissing his lips before moving into his jaw.

"You're my favourite person in the world, Chris. Nobody makes me happy or laugh like you do. I'm in love with you" you told him. "Okay?"

Chris let out a small laugh, kissing you once more.

"And I love you, so much...will you dance with me?" He whispered into your ear, already rocking you slowly as you started to dance.

"Always"