~.✧ one ✧.~

The Bordovaki Castle had been passed down from generation to generation

The Bordovaki Castle had been passed down from generation to generation. My father, King Opelius Bordovaki, had received it from his father, King Xaedeed Bordovaki, and so on and so forth until many great-grandfather's earlier to the very first king of Austora, King Austora Bordovaki himself. The name hadn't changed in centuries, therefore the family who possessed the castle hadn't either.

Despite all the grand rooms, intricately decorated in precious metals and hand-painted masterpieces and masterfully carved complex stonework that had taken nearly seventy-five years to construct and put into place, my favorite part of the castle wasn't even a part of the castle at all. In fact, it had been built only ten years ago, under my mother's instruction and guidance and careful eye.

It was simply known as the Greene.

The sun was warm against my skin as I slipped into the Greene. The moment I was inside, my shoulders—which had been tense just moments ago when I'd been inside the castle—relaxed. The smell of bright summer flowers and precious herbs pervaded my senses, causing the turbulence in my chest to settle into a satisfied warmth.

In the Greene, all was so easy. The thin door was like our kingdom's border, protecting me from all outside stresses and threats and keeping me contained and content within.

I would live my entire life in the Greene if I could.

The daladias in the corner called my name and I walked over, holding the skirt of my dress up so as to not drag it through the crumbs of dirt that had found their way to the floor. Taking the delicate white and pink flower bud in between my fingers, I brought my nose to it. My eyes fluttered closed. Daladias were some of the best smelling flowers that the gardeners cultivated here at the castle and I would gladly give my heart to any man that ever gave me one to wear for a day.

I nearly giggled at the frivolous thought.

The sun caught in my blond lashes, and I turned my face up toward the ceiling which was made of glass so that the plants might have the best view of the sky. With my eyes closed and the quiet tranquility floating through the perfumy air around me, I could almost forget what loomed for me back at the castle.

Almost.

My moment of peace was suddenly interrupted as the door to the Greene was pushed open. I startled, spinning around and nearly tangling my sleeves with the vine-like stems of the daladias. I luckily caught myself before a disaster, though.

I peeked around one of the larger plants that always tried to reach across the aisle for its buddy and let out a slow breath. "Oh, Braz. It's just you."

He emerged around the corner, grinning from ear to ear as he swatted at a large leaf. "How'd I know you'd prefer the company of plants over our visitors in the Grand Hall?"

I let out a deflated sigh, a sheepish smile tugging at my lips. "Has anyone else besides you noticed yet?"

"Asria, but she notices everything." He winked and I nodded understandingly, my smile growing. Our little sister was only twelve years old, yet she was more perspective than the two of us combined.