~.✧ twenty-two ✧.~

I held Larklind's hand—and my breath—as he slowly swung his legs over the edge of the cot

I held Larklind's hand—and my breath—as he slowly swung his legs over the edge of the cot. It had been four days since he'd woken up and the healers said it was time for him to start regaining some strength again. Larklind looked relieved to not have to sit in the same cot all day and night, but it made me nervous. While his fever had been gone for a long time and the infection had finally completely flushed from his body, his wound was taking longer to heal. I had to admit, it looked ten times better than it did four days ago—far less inflamed and the stitching starting to scab over—but it still didn't look amazing. But I suppose it wouldn't look amazing until it was healed. Even then, he would probably have a horrible scar to show for it. A mark that would forever demonstrate his selfless courage.

Larklind's feet found the ground and he took a long breath before sliding to the edge of the cot. I held his arm in support, my eyes flicking from his feet to his face. Though his expression was a little tight from the first movement in so long, it showed little pain. That was good. This was good for him.

"Are you okay?" I asked anyway, just to make sure.

He nodded. "Yeah. Can you maybe help me stand?"

I slid my arm around his waist and used my other hand to hold onto his forearm. He let out another steady sigh and then slowly forced himself to his feet. Though he was a little shaky at first, he was stronger than I'd been expecting and he was able to stand up straight with less help from me than I'd been prepared to give.

He peered over at me and smiled. "What a rush."

Chuckling, I rolled my eyes but I was so happy to hear him joking and teasing again. "Do you think you can walk at all?" I asked tentatively.

"If you're with me."
I blushed for some reason but nodded, keeping my arm firmly tucked around him.

Walking was a little more difficult for him than simply standing but after a couple steps out into the aisle between cots, he found a slow, easy rhythm. I kept a watchful eye on his face as he looked down at his steps, making sure that he wasn't in too much pain. Though his expression was concentrated and slightly hesitant in the beginning, he never grimaced or groaned. Either he was healing even faster than I thought or whatever remedies the healer was giving him did a very good job keeping the pain away.

We made a lazy lap around the basement and with each step, he seemed to get stronger. And even though I could tell it was making him a little tired, I hadn't seen his eyes glimmer like this in a long while. It was refreshing.

When we made it another half lap, coming around near the stairs, he paused. "Do you think we could take a walk to the gardens or the Greene? I feel like I haven't been outside in ages."

I hadn't either and his reminder left longing in my heart. I was about to comply but then I shook my head. "How about we keep to just walking the basement a while longer? You're walking well, but the stairs might be a different obstacle to tackle. I would prefer it if you didn't fall and hurt yourself more."