~.✧ six ✧.~

That evening, I was extremely exhausted from having gotten less sleep the night before and from the emotional weight on the day

That evening, I was extremely exhausted from having gotten less sleep the night before and from the emotional weight on the day. I'd gone back to lessons with Mother after I made sure Asria was okay—at least as okay as she could be given the circumstances—because I didn't want to hurt Mother's feelings and her exasperated mood had extended the lesson by an extra hour. Then, this afternoon, Father had a meeting with the Council that the entire royal family was required to attend and talking about politics always drained me. So I didn't head down to the Dining Hall for dinner despite knowing the repercussions. But I knew that if anyone asked, I could just tell them I wasn't feeling well since it wasn't exactly a lie.

As I changed out of my dress and into my softest nightgown, my mind did find one thing from the meeting interesting. Father had announced to the Council about the meeting with Queen Mirellia, and while he didn't outright say the purposes of it, he made subtle implications that had a few of the Councilors giving side-long glances at each other in speculation. What made me curious was the fact that many of them seemed hesitant. They knew more of the political doings of Ethira than I did, yet still their expressions showed hesitancy. And that made me wonder if that might be used to our advantage.

I knew that despite Braz's promise that we would fight this arranged marriage for Asria, there was most likely little the three of us could really do to stop it. We were just three children compared to our parents and their supremacy would always win. But a very sly thought that felt wrong simply to wonder slipped into the back of my mind. If the Council, who was much more educated and involved in the matter than me, could arouse enough disagreement, then maybe it could change this impending decision. While Father was ultimately the one with the power, his Council was the best asset he had and he never took their opinions and ideas for granted.

Even though I hated the idea of messing with Mother and Father like this, the brokenness Asria was going through right now was enough to make me want to meddle. I hated seeing her in so much pain and feeling so much fear, and I would do anything for her to be happy. So even though it left a strange feeling in my stomach, I told myself I would pitch the idea to Braz tomorrow. He had more influence—and not to mention social skills—than me and if he liked the idea, he would be able to execute and sell it way more effectively than I could.

All of this ran through my head as I watched myself braid my hair in my vanity mirror.

I'd just tied off the end of my braid when a knock came at my door. I'd been wondering if a maid or even Braz would be up with my dinner soon. I stood and gradually peeked an eye through the door.

"Oh," I said upon seeing not Braz but Kartren, holding a covered tray of food. "They made you bring me my dinner?"

"No, I volunteered," he replied, his voice practically emotionless as per usual.

The fact that he chose to come up here to bring me food surprised me slightly, but I didn't press it. Instead, I opened my door wider and offered for him to come in. He nodded in acceptance.