~.✧ twenty-four ✧.~

I took long, deep breaths as I walked from the carriage to the front of the Corzavan Estate

I took long, deep breaths as I walked from the carriage to the front of the Corzavan Estate. I'd put off talking to Ibrin another full day before forcing myself to come. I was shaking tremendously and the words that I'd been practicing over and over in my head were turning noncoherent. But even if this was completely nerve wracking and I felt like I was going to lose my breakfast, it had to be done. I couldn't leave Ibrin hanging onto a false hope any longer. I already felt like a horrible human being for concealing the truth from him for this long.

I made it to the large, ornate front door of the estate and reached up to bang the knocker. I only got one knock in, though, before a servant was already at the door, answering the call and startling me slightly.

It wasn't the same servant as last time, but a maid with wide blue eyes. "Your Highness." She curtsied low. "Who would you like me to sumon?"

I was proud as my voice was only a little squeaky when I replied, "Sir Ibrin Corzavan, please."

She nodded, opening the door further for me to walk in. Though I would feel better talking to him outside where I could calm down easier if I was flustered, I knew it was impolite to not come into someone's home when you visited. So I followed her in.

The girl started to direct me towards a different parlor this time, making me wonder if the two siblings asked them to direct visitors to different places when they came. This parlor was deeper within the manor and I had to keep a fast pace with the servant so I wouldn't lose her around a corner.

I assumed we were almost to the parlor when she slowed down. But she paused and I looked up, proving me wrong. Ironically, there stood Ibrin in front of me.

"Excuse me, sir, but her Highness Princess Asaidylina is here to speak with you. Would you like me to continue leading her to the parlor?"

"No, Faith, this will do. Thank you."

She curtsied before scurrying off like a scared field mouse. My eyes followed after her form for a long moment before I dreadfully met Ibrin's gaze. It was just as intense as it always was and I had to force myself not to flinch as we exchanged a bow and curtsy.

"What do you owe the pleasure, your Highness?" he asked, his voice calm and showing no emotion.

I tucked my hands behind my back to hide my tapping fingers. I wanted to look him in the eyes as I did this but I was quickly learning that this would not be a possibility, so I inspected the sconce on the wall behind his head. "Ibrin, I... Um, I need to tell you something that I've... I've been hiding from you. I know I should have come clean a long time ago but I was scared that‒"

"You love someone else."

My eyes snapped to his in surprise. Had he really just said that? Had he known all this time? "I... How did... How did you‒"

"I may not be very good at reading social cues or subtle emotions in others but I know what love looks like." He shifted his weight. "I see it in my parents and my grandparents and, most recently, maybe slightly in my sister, though I'm not quite sure on that one... But I also see it in you and I know that it's not for me."