~.✧ sixteen ✧.~

The carriage bumped along the cobblestone road of the city as I stared out the window

The carriage bumped along the cobblestone road of the city as I stared out the window. I sighed, wishing my mother had just let me ride my horse into town. But when she'd found out about my excursion to the Corzavan's, she became so overwhelmingly excited that she insisted I take a carriage. I knew what she was thinking, that I was going to the Corzavan Estate to visit Ibrin, and I didn't correct her because I didn't want to burst her bubble. But no. I was really going to visit Ezalie. It had been two days since the Descendants Festival and I needed to see how she was doing.

As the carriage took a left, I shook my head. I'd told Braz to wait to talk to her, but I hadn't meant forever. He still hadn't explained to her what had happened, and I was scared he was taking too long. The longer he waited, the more it seemed like he was guilty. And perhaps he felt guilty, but I knew he wasn't. No matter what he thought, I was resolute in believing that this was all Julietta's wrong doing that was having massive repercussions on everyone else. It made me angry that she didn't care how her actions hurt other people.

The carriage slowed and I turned to look out the right window instead of the left. The Corzavan's Estate loomed ahead of me, their small entry courtyard beautifully manicured and well kept, showing their status. Their estate was separated from the rest of the city, also a symbol of their family's wealth and position in the nobility.

I let out a slow breath as the carriage finally stopped inside the courtyard and a footman opened the door for me. I took his offered hand and nodded in thanks, but my attention soon turned inward. With a swallow, I started toward the front of the estate, not exactly sure what I was going to say. I hadn't thought of it much when I'd decided to come. All I'd wanted to do was visit my friend. But I hadn't contemplated that fact that Ezalie's parents and brother would be here and I might have to speak with them.

At the front door, I shakily reached up and pounded the golden knocker against the door. I stepped back and tucked my hands behind my back, waiting for someone to answer. It didn't take long.

A servant peeked out to greet me, surprise passing over his face. "Your Highness." He bowed. "A pleasure. Who might I summon for you?"

I let out a small sigh of relief that I could specifically ask for only Ezalie. "Lady Ezalie Corzavan, please."

"Yes, Highness. Let me lead you to a parlor as I fetch her."

I followed him inside. The entryway was long and adorned with fine tapestries and a glistening chandelier. While I'd been to the Corzavan's Estate once before, I still was surprised by the grandeur of it. Even though I lived in the castle, I was used to every corner and luxury there. Here, like all the other nice estates that we occasionally visited, it was like a completely new maze made of dazzling pieces of beauty that were unfamiliar to me.

The servant led me to a parlor near the end of the hall and on the right. I nodded appreciatively as he left me inside to go find Ezalie.

I sat on one of the settees, taking in the natural late morning light that fluttered in through the line of tall windows on two of the four walls of the room. A fireplace sat to my left, but it was unlit. The large carpet beneath my feet was stitched with hand presion detail and the pillows on my back were made of fine materials that had to have been imported. The Corzavan's were wealthy indeed.