~.✧ four ✧.~

Over the course of the next few days, I caught myself periodically thinking of my new found friendship with Larklind

Over the course of the next few days, I caught myself periodically thinking of my new found friendship with Larklind. I hadn't had a true friend that wasn't a family member since I was little, and even then I'd never felt the ease at which I felt around Larklind. He made it perfectly easy to talk to him. I had no fear of judgment when I met his unique eyes. The jitteriness and tight snatch of my breath never came when I was around him like it did with most other people. And it was extremely refreshing.

The end of the week came and the tea party that Father had scheduled with the Hyprettes woke me up early Saturday morning. As I was getting ready and trying hard to ignore the tense awkwardness floating in the air between Gentry and me, Asria stormed into my room.

"Guess what?" she exclaimed with her arms tightly crossed over her chest, her face slightly red from anger. "You never will."

I gave her a wondering look. "What?"

"Not only did Father invite the Hyprettes, but the Corzavans, Rosivinches, and Parses."

My chest tightened. "He... he did?"

"Yeah," she growled. But then her voice dropped lower in resignation. "And you know what else? It's official. The meeting with Queen Mirellia is in nine days..."

My eyes quickly flicked to Gentry and Asria noticed. "Oh," she said. "Pretend you didn't hear that."

Gentry nodded stiffly. "Of course, your Highness."

Asria, satisfied with Gentry's word, flopped back onto my bed, sprawling out like a starfish despite how it probably would mess up her hair. "I don't want to do this anymore," she mumbled.

I held up my hand for Gentry to give me a second and she stepped back obediently, leaving my hair partially done. I stood from my vanity chair and slowly walked over to my bed. Gently, I sat down next to Asria and tucked my hands into my lap. "I know. I've thought that a lot too."

She rolled her eyes but it didn't hold any malice. "Yeah, I know. That's what Mother keeps reminding me. That everyone has to do things that they don't like."

For a brief moment, anger flared in my chest. It was surprising as anger at anyone in my family was rare for me. "Does she not realize this is more than just something that you 'don't want to do'? This is your life."

Asria slowly sat up, smiling slightly. "I don't think I've ever heard you say a single thing against Mother before."

I let out a breath. "Sorry."

"No, don't be. I'm glad you're just as upset about this as I am." She ran her fingers over her hair, smoothing it back down. "It makes me feel a little less alone."

I scooted closer to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She didn't hug me back but she didn't pull away, either. "You're never alone. I promise."