Chapter 12

With Dee, we observed the ship anchored in the bay since the previous day. The team had unloaded containers using a crane, and within a few hours, a small village had sprung up before our eyes. All the containers seemed to have been modified for habitation. We watched them from a distance, invisible. Dee, despite them being former colleagues, believed that we should eliminate them all during the night by placing C-4 on their facilities and the ship. Ever since they had set up camp, we had the right to eliminate them. I agree with her idea. I wouldn't need much to follow her, but we must obtain evidence to bring down the person behind this show of force. Dee has fewer doubts; according to her, we should eliminate them, go home, eliminate the representative, and put this whole thing behind us.

And that's what I want to do too.

I want to go home, return to Vermont, live with Dee under my real name, not a pseudonym. I want to introduce her to my grandparents as my wife, officially. I want to introduce her to Lindsay and meet Rebecca.

"I need to know what they know, Dee. If they have information about the ore or not. If we eliminate the representative, OMG might try to sell that information to someone else. We need to make them disappear. Permanently. That was your sister's intention, she was ready to gasify the entire base, making it look like an accident. I couldn't let her kill twelve hundred people, including people she had formed connections with."

"I understand. That was also my option, but not anymore. I have become attached to several people in these past few months. You didn't stay long enough for Keys to form bonds with people here. It was only you and her environmental obsession. She probably would have sacrificed you too. Look, the second building to the right."

Dee points to the second building on the right, catching my attention. I observe carefully, trying to discern what interests her.

I fix my gaze on the satellite antenna being installed on a mast, then connected to the building.

"Do you think they're going to watch a movie on cable?" I jokingly ask.

"That building is our main target, we'll have to penetrate it," Dee replies.

"Dee, I don't understand how a Representative can have so many financial resources. He must have talked about the ore and provided assurances to someone who is financing him," I ponder.

"I think the same. We need to hack into their computer system. Let's go back, we'll come back later," Dee decides.

We discreetly retreat, disappearing into the white landscape, before getting on the snowmobile and returning to the base to warm up and have a meal. I also take the opportunity to inform Lindsay and Myra of our intention to infiltrate the enemy village. The photos I send are not encouraging. With a dozen mercenaries, researchers, workers, and the ship's crew, we are facing about fifty people.

"I might need some help with technology, Lindsay," I tell her.

"We'll stay in touch with Becky, we might even take remote control of their computer," Lindsay replies.

"You can do that?" I'm amazed.

"Becky's program includes a ram that will force its way through and give us the necessary access," she explains.

"Thank you, Lin."

"Take care of yourself, Emi. Both of you, be cautious. You're alone, without the possibility of reinforcements," she warns.

"Don't forget, if you don't hear from me or Dee anymore, go to my grandparents' place. There's an envelope for you, it's my will. I'll add some verbal instructions as well. Arrange to retrieve Dee's body and act according to my instructions. Besides Dee, you're my only family, Lindsay. I trust you. We'll talk tonight, be ready."