Many years later

As I wake up to a sound, I take a few moments to gather my thoughts. Sitting in the armchair under the gallery, facing the lilacs, I look around, trying to determine the source of the noise. My ever-fertile imagination could be playing tricks on me. My gaze lands on the photo frame placed on the small round table beside me. It's a precious image of Dee holding our daughter in her arms, with me by their side. A smile forms on my lips as I contemplate this memory.

Perhaps it's Julia?

I doubt it, she would have informed me. She's on a mission somewhere. We couldn't dissuade her from choosing a different career, it's in her genes. We haven't hidden anything from her about our lives, we've taught her everything. She trained to fight in the garden, alongside her Aunt Keys. She learned how to ride a motorcycle, fly, and shoot, naturally. She gained all the engineering knowledge that Dee possesses. But it was her Aunt Kinsley who influenced her the most, she would go to her for advice. Kinsley, who finally married the one person she could live and sleep in the same bed with, April. Kinsley watched over Julia from afar, taking on the role of a big sister.

"Julia, are you here?" I ask as I get up and enter the house. "Julia?"

"Hello, my love."

Ah...

I turn around, and there she is, as beautiful and young as in my memories.

"Hello, Keys. Dee is not here?"

"She's coming, she's pushing away those who come to get you, that was our agreement, right?"

"You kept your promise," I smile.

"You've had a beautiful life, Emily. My sister was so happy by your side. Thank you. And my niece, congratulations, she is magnificent."

"Julia."

"A beautiful name, thank you," she smiles. "Ah, here she is."

I watch Dee approach, she looks like her sister, with the same youth and beauty.

"Hello, my love," she greets me, wrapping her arm around her sister's waist. "Are you ready? Are your affairs in order for Julia?"

"Yes, she will miss nothing. So... how will it happen? I'm a little nervous."

"Everything will be fine, we'll be together."

"Will we be able to make love?" I ask, smiling.

"We will be nothing but love," they say, each extending a hand to me.

It's a neighbor I pay to mow the lawn who found me sitting on my bench in front of Dee and Keys' graves, a smile on my face. I passed away without suffering. I simply regret not being able to say goodbye to my daughter, but who knows, maybe I'll come to surprise her or give her advice.

I have joined the women of my life.

THE END