Chapter 3: The Dragon and the Owl

Zach's House...

Zach, Devin, and Max entered the house. Max ran to the yard, while Zach and Devin went into the living room.

Where Zach and Devin's grandpa, Charles Gladsvil, was sitting.

He's this Seventy-one-year-old retired iron worker. The House Zach lives in is the same house he lived in when he was his age. Zach's dad, William, and Aunt Willow grew up here as well. His aunt moved out and had Devin, and Zach's family stayed there.

"How was your day today boys?" he asked.

Just then Zach's dad entered the room with some weapons he made.

Zach doesn't have the best relationship with his father. His father wanted him to be an Ironworker, then maybe a fighter and join a guard in some kingdom... but instead he spends his days hunting rabbits. And every day His father finds a new insult to say to him.

"Augh," he grunted as he put the tools down on the side, "Good evening gentlemen..."

"Hello son," said Grandpa.

"Hi Uncle Bill," said Devin.

"Hi dad," Zach answered.

William grouched.

"Can you try to say that again but sound more like a man, Zach?" he asked sarcastically.

Yep, it almost always goes like that.

"You know you might become a better man if you worked at the blacksmith," he said, "Instead of playing the House Wife and cooking with your mother".

"Again... I don't cook...." Zach replied, "I just hunt the rabbits that mom cooks and sells".

"And we got more than usual today," Devin added.

"I wouldn't call it hunting if you're just killing Rabbits," he said, "That's child's play, if you would You'd hunt something better, like a wolf".

"A wolf?" My grandpa asked, "What are they even gonna do with a wolf?"

"Could make a nice living room rug".

"Need I remind you," my Grandpa continued, "What Zach and Devin do is just help their mothers. Also, I have been on this planet for seventy-one years, and in my lifetime the only thing I've seen you kill was a mouse that was found in your sister's bedroom."

Devin and I snickered a bit.

HMPH

"I still think you should go into the Iron business," my dad continued, "You should have learned to fight when you were younger. Maybe you deserved being pushed from that balcony."

"ENOUGH WILLIAM!" My Grandpa scolded, "If you don't have anything nice to say to anyone, then it's better to just stay quiet."

William sighed, "I would like to remind you that's your fault that he's like this..." he grunted. He grabbed his tools and took them to the back of the house where he would store them.

Zach has been talked down like that frequently. Most of the time when it happens, he just goes to his room and stays there until he comes down and composes himself. 

"I swear that boy," my grandpa sighed, "He's gonna cause me to have a heart attack. Don't listen to what he says, Zachary-"

"He's right about one thing," Zach said sternly to his grandpa, "Is your fault I'm an outcast!"

And ran up to his room...

"Zach, dude, where are you going?" Devin shouted.

"Let him go, Devin," his grandpa said, "He needs to be by himself for a bit".