Chapter 7: A Tale of Two Brothers

Zach launched forward. He felt like he had just woken up from a bad dream.... he looked around. He was in his room... back in bed... No Draconics... No magic... NOTHING.

Had it been a dream?

He put a hand on his cheek where the trident had cut him. It was still there...

He looked outside and saw that the sun had started to come up. The rays of light came into the window, hitting something shiny in the corner of the room. Zach got up to inspect it.... it was a bag with gold and diamonds...

Zach's grandpa told him a lot of things about Draconics, but he doesn't remember about them leaving people gems and gold. He only knows that those that are in their land area...

"Oh no... Devin..." said Zach, "He's still up there..."

"ZACHARY!!!!" Rose shouted from downstairs, "Breakfast is ready!!! Hurry up so you can go hunt Rabbits!!"

"Uhm... COMING!" Zach shouted back as he hid the gold under his bed.

Zach went downstairs. Max was chewing happily on a bone. His dad was sitting in his chair. William looked up at him, then back at his food.

Disappointment

Rose walked to the table with a bowl of oatmeal.

"Good morning dear," she smiled warmly. That smiled then turned to concern, "Oh Sweetie what happened? You have a scar on your cheek".

"Oh! This?!" he stuttered nervously, "I hurt myself with the bed frame..."

"Oh... are you sure?"

"Ya... I'm alright... Uhm..."

Zach noticed that his Grandpa wasn't at the table with them. He normally wakes up earlier.

"...Where's Grandpa?" he asked

"... he's in his room packing," Rose sighed, "He's going to live with Aunt Willow and Devin from now remember?"

"Oh... right."

Just then, all of them heard a cluttering sound outside. Zach, his parents, and Max all went to check what it was. Everyone in the village did the same as well.

In the center of the town, there were two wagons that no one recognized. They both had black tarps and they were both made with dark oak wood. The horses were also black colored. From the side of one of them hoped out a man wearing a long black coat, black hunting boots, a tunic, and had straps around him with what looked like gunpowder. He also had a nasty-looking scar that went across one of his eyes.

Then more people came out of the wagons. At least seven people including him, three women and four men.

The Headsman then came out of his house.

"Greetings gentlemen," he said shaking hands with the man with the scar.

"Thank you for sending us that letters," he said in a groggy voice.

The Headsman looked at all the townspeople. "Do not be afraid everyone," he said, "This gentleman is Hitch Fang and his team, I called him because some of you have had some concerns about the noise we all heard last night. So I'm sending him and his team to go and investigate the disturbance".

"Correct," said Hitch, "We are professionals at this kind of stuff, you can rest assured that we will find what's causing this disturbance".

Max growled at Hitch.

"Humbug," William mumbled.

Just then, Willow came running towards Zach and his family, tears running down her eyes, looking visibly upset.