Chapter 13: Trust Me

The Village...

Devin sat on the porch with Max, who placed his head on his lap and whimpered. Devin patted his head

"I know..." said Devin, "I miss him too..."

"Hi, blondie!" said a voice.

Devin shook his head and looked up. He saw a girl that he had never seen before.

Max started to growl.

"Uhm... hello?" said Devin confused, "Who are you?"

"Oh, I'm new here," she said, "Just got here on the Wagon-"

"DEVIN!" someone called out. It was his mom. "Come in here right now!"

Devin got up, "I'm sorry," he said, "I have to go-"

The girl grabbed his arm, gave him a piece of paper, and ran off.

Confused, Devin put the paper in his pocket and ran inside.

"Ya mom?" he asked.

"Honey, Please go to your room," she ordered, "I don't want you talking to those people in the Wagon at all..."

"I- uhm- yes Mom..." he answered. He walked to his room and closed the door. Once inside he opened the note the girl gave him.

It read:

                                         "If you want to get your cousin back I know how

                                      Meet me tomorrow after lunch at the wagons."

Later that night at the Northern Mountain...

"Well well," said Hooty, "Have my eyes deceived me?... Did I really see you save that boy's life?"

"Whatever..." Obi mumbled as she lay on her nest, "Is not a big deal... He helped my group... I'm just returning the favor...."

"Not a big deal? I've never seen you that kind to a Human... I can see it's because you wanted to do it..."

"... Hooty... It could just easily be a way for me to earn his trust and then let him go, then he might tell the town's people and they might get Dragon Hunters..."

"Well, that problem could easily be resolved, you know. By turning him into stone, yet you haven't even tried... have you?"

Obi didn't say anything

"Come on..." Hooty continued, "You have to admit it, Humans aren't that bad".

Obi scuffed, "Tell that to my parents..."

"Now listen here young lady," frowned," You might be the leader of the Draconics, but remember that it's my job to take care and look after you... you can't hold these feelings of resentment for so long... I know it's something painful.... but it's more painful to hold them... is also even worse if you isolate yourself from the rest of your family-"

"OH MY GOSH, WOULD YOU STOP!?" Obi shouted, "I don't have time to talk about my feelings, what good is that gonna do?! And stop worrying about me so much, why do you even care? You're not my mother!!!"

Obi lay on her side of the nest and covered herself with a blanket.

Hooty sighed and flew up to her perch at the top of Obi's cavern. "Fine then," Hooty thought, "I'm gonna have to find another way to get you talking then... but how could I do that? Good thing I have all night..."

Hooty opened her wings and flew outside. Making sure none was coming to the Mountain.

While Obi still lay in bed.