[FERNKIT/1]

I let my claws shuffle against the leafy forest ground as my paws popped out from under me. Berrykit let out a loud, amused purr that pressed itself against my ears, forcing me back up again.

     "You're as clumsy as a beaver, Fernkit!" Berrykit let out a snicker, crouching down as the moss ball they had been tumbling around with slowly crawled away.

     "No!" I meowed persistantly. "You'll see one day, Berrykit. I'll be better than you, Blazekit, Doekit... better than ALL of Shade Clan!"

     Berrykit let out a sloppy meow, rolling his eyes. "Fine then, prove it! Go fight with Blazekit."

     I let my tongue fall out in surprise, before pulling it back in. "B...Blaze kit?" He was the strongest out of our litter, so if I couldn't beat Berrykit, how could I possible defeat him?

     "You heard me! Come on!" I tried to return the bounce to my paws as Berrykit jumped away. I sat down, batting at the torn moss ball as I waited, turning my gaze up to three warriors sharing prey. I squinted, recognizing one...

     Stonesong! He visited the nursery every single day to check up on his kits, Quailkit and Nightkit. They were alright, but... I let out a curious whimper as a cat tossed themselves onto me, the whimper turning into a loud, sudden yowl. "Ahhh!" I screeched, pushing up to see who it was.

     It was Blazekit, towering over me with a triumphant purr. "Come on, Fernkit. Is that all you got?" I struggled underneath his tight grip as he pinned me down, letting out an exhausted groan.

     "NOT fair! You just jumped up onto me! That shouldn't count!"

     "Well, Crowcatcher told me that when we're real warriors, nothing is fair!" Blazekit responded with a smirk, yet it wasn't taunting or teasing in the least, just a happy, playful smirk.

     "Crowcatcher never talks to us because he always favors you! It's like we don't exist to him." I meowed grumpily, wincing as his tiny claws dug into me.

     "Well, it's just because-" A meow came from nearby, interrupting Berrykit. I swiveled my head as much as I could to see Sorrelheart approaching, her brown eyes shining in the wind as her pelt blew around in the small, stirred up wind.

     "Come on, kits it's time to get to bed." She spoke softly, yet fiercly with a motherly aura radiating from her. Blazekit let out a tiny groan, pushing his claws deeper into my fur, making me let out a small whimper out of surprise. "Now, now Blazekit. We don't want to hurt Fernkit." She padded forwards, plucking Blazekit off me, allowing me to breath again.

     Berrykit snickered, his tail brushing my pelt as he walked by. "Now, you said you could beat him?"

     "Unfair!" I meowed persistantly, bounding off after them before they could escape. It was only a few short hops from the nursery before I got surrounded in the looming warmth.

     My mom settled down, drawing Berrykit closer as Blazekit slipped out of her jaws with a huff. I jumped forwards, crawling into the comfort, safest spot in the clan next to Berrykit, who gave me a lick on the nose.

     Doekit was curled up next to me, having already been there, and Blazekit was crouched on the outside, quivering silently, although refused to sleep near us. I let out a small purr as Berrykit brushed his nose against my pelt with a smile.

     Berrykit was definitely annoying, but I was lucky to have him. I let out a silent yawn as it descended into the night, the sun falling into the seemingly endless slumber. I pulled myself in, trying to press myself farther into Sorrelheart.

_____________

     When no light was filtering into the den anymore, I found a tiny scuttling noise forcing me awake. Opening a small eye, I scanned the den, seeing Doekit plopped on top of me. Peering out from my mother's fur, I saw a cat bending down to tightly grab Blazekit.