[FERNKIT/4]

I opened my eyes, seeing sunlight spill into our den, rolling away as the only comfort around me was my siblings. I nudged Berrykit and Doekit awake, hearing the quiet sounds of our clanmates die out as they neared our den.

     I jumped outside, seeing my mother rush over, confusion etched onto her face, although she let her tongue roll over our fur for a second before ushering us towards the clearing behind the large oak tree.

     I watched Maplestar stride up with Snowthistle bounding below. Ghostsight made his way slowly towards there, this time taking Thornmask's offer to help him. My eyes widened as I waited patiently, falling against Berrykit.

     Glancing up at my mom, I saw her eyes fill up with pain as she let out a small whimper. "You're so big... you will be great apprentices." At her words, I started to grin, hearing the meeting call as my father padded over.

     "It isn't the same without Blazekit, Sorrelheart. You know that." He purred, dark eyes flicking down to us before back up, nuzzling her. She leaned into him with a comforting meow. I stared up at Maplestar, my eyes wide as she cleared her throat.

     "Berrykit, Fernkit, Doekit, and-..." An eerie silence put a stop to all activity. "Please come up."  Even though the fresh wound of Blazekit's disappearance still stung, I kept my head high and proud as I padded forwards with my siblings beside me.

    "Berrykit, you have reached the age of six moons. From now on to until you become a warrior you shall be known as Berrypaw." Maplestar's voice was firm as she scanned the crowd to search for a possible mentor, her paws gripping the ground. "I'll mentor you."

     No cat spoke, but everyone knew that she didn't trust anyone in the clan enough to mentor him. She turned towards Doekit with hesitation, as if wishing to mentor all three of us. I gulped, pawing the ground. What if my mentor was the one who kidnapped Blazekit? Berrypaw kept his posture tight as he slunk next to the rock- waiting for her to come down.

     "Doekit, you have reached the age of six moons. From now on to until you become a warrior you shall be known as Doepaw." Yet again, she looked around the crowd with uncertaininy. I shivered, knowing that even though bad cats were in our clan, I would always trust my clan. I wondered what it felt like, not trusting any cat at all, not even your own deputy.

    "Adderstalk, you are ready for an apprentice. Adderstalk, you will be Doepaw's mentor. Adderstalk, you have known kindness and loyalty. I expect you to pass on all your skills to Doepaw, so she may become an honorable, devoted warrior of Shade Clan."

     Adderstalk slipped forwards, a timid smile on his face as they both touched noses, their gazes averting from each others before Adderstalk walked away to another spot farther out of their clanmate's eyes with her.

     Sighing, Maplestar gazed down at me with worry filling her gaze. "Fernkit, you have reached the age of six moons. From now on to until you become a warrior you shall be known as Fernpaw."

     I expected her to scan the clan slowly with worry filling her eyes as she had with my siblings, but she just rested her gaze upon a single cat. "Icefeather, you are ready for an apprentice. Icefeather, you will be Fernpaw's mentor."

     With a soft look in her eyes, Maplestar sheathed her paws carefully before yet again speaking. "Icefeather, you are resilient and courageous. I expect you to pass on all your skills to Fernpaw, so that he may become a trustworthy warrior of Shade Clan."

     My mentor was at my side in a couple of seconds, pressing her freezing nose to mine before she was gone. I backed up, sniffling as Snowthistle stepped up to assign patrols. Blazekit deserved to get Maplestar as a mentor, yet who knew where he was now?