[KESTRELPAW/11]

I huddled next to the brown-furred cat called Stormy, Holly, the lithe, green-eyed one on my other side. We were all stuffed together in a hollow tree trunk, just barely peeking above the ground. It had been our only option after searching endlessly last night for a place to sleep. We had all negligently settled on this, and the entirety of the night had been full of paws in faces and legs in mouths.

     I slapped a paw over my mouth, freezing, as I heard a patrol of cats approaching. I recognized the voices nearly immediately, my eyes widening in hope.

     "Do we have to search for that mouse-brain? She's probably out making dirt or exploring like always..." I heard Tallpaw complain, to which a sharp voice cut him off.

     "Don't be so disrespectful, Tallpaw... this is your fellow apprentice and, hopefully, your friend!" Jaystar meowed sternly. I imagined the scene- Jaystar cuffing Tallpaw on the ear with a swipe of his paw.

     "Ow! My friend? HER? Yeah, right, whatever..." Tallpaw sighed, and I could practically see him roll his eyes, pushing his chest forward pridefully. Say whatever you want Tallpaw, but nobody cares that you find it embarrassing to be friends with me... I scoffed quietly.

     "We brought you along because you might know where she would be; because you said you were her friend," Vineflower said 'softly', and I heard Tallpaw groan angrily, hissing at her. At least we share one thing in common- we hate Vineflower.

     "Yeah, no. And it's 'am', not 'were'. Don't talk about her like she's dead!" He snarled at her, to which I heard a soft laugh- one that lit up my heart. I started reaching out, preparing to paw my way out and greet them before a sharp claw hooked onto my shoulder and dragged me back. I whimpered, closing one eye with a pained whimper.

     "Not yet," I heard Stormy whisper into my ear. I huffed, resuming to listen in, but not before sending a sharp retort back.

     "Whatever, you need to get your claws shortened, you bossy furball..." I muttered, watching his ears turn red angrily before he shifted away.

     "-just admitted you are her friend-" Sootpaw chuckled, and I felt claws pierce my heart as he laughed back, heartily. Is he trying to flirt with her or something? He does know she doesn't like him?

     "Whatever. We should just head on back anyway. I doubt she would be out this far," Tallpaw sighed, admitting defeat. "Besides, uh, aren't we near the Softtalon place? I don't want to be ambushed by mush-eating creatures!"

     "Who knows where she is... For all we know, the newcomers or believers could have captured her," Jaystar replied glumly, ignoring Tallpaw's last comment, and I sent a nervous glance toward the two cats next to me, confused. Stormy, who had been staring at me, quickly glanced away, while Holly just stared back in exhaustion, her eyes immediately drawn to me from my stare.

     I shifted uncomfortably, looking down.

     "Right, seeing as we're in their territory now, she would be dead already. I don't think I want to be next." I scowled as I heard Vineflower's patient voice, which pretended to hold sympathy before her paw steps led away from the tree. Sootpaw broke a sob, Tallpaw whimpered, and I had no idea what Jaystar was doing, seeing as I couldn't see him.

     They didn't linger for long, seemingly agreeing with Vineflower before following after her. Holly insisted we stay for some more time, just in case. I didn't know why. They were like family... most of them, anyway. Why need to hide? Finally, when the sun was high in the sky, we crawled out, stretching our sore limbs and aching paws.

     "Great Shining Clan! I am so, soooo exhausteeeed..." I complained with a huff, flopping onto my back before shooting back to my paws. I felt safe with the two; they could protect me from 'newcomers' and 'believers'. Stormy sent me a glance, and I found that I had already labeled him as the quiet one- and violent. I licked my shoulder, hissing as I turned my gaze to Holly. Holly was the leader and sensible one. Obviously.