chapter eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
" ALONE "

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE FOG was blinding and so thick you couldn't see your own hand right in front of your face, the group of five came back to back looking around frantically staying silent as the undead moaned and snarled around them

Bob was the first to strike, his weapon piercing the brain of the walker that had dared to approach quickly making its body fall limp in the dirt. Nova gasps softly wielding her weapon of choice, a machete.

The sharp blade sliced straight through the walkers skull. Blood, brain matter, hair and flesh spraying the forest floor.

The situation seemed to be under control, each of the survivors adding yet another number to their walker body count until Bob suddenly wailed in pain, a walker's teeth embedded in his shoulder from behind.

So many thoughts clouded her mind, momentarily making her freeze as she just watched everyone around her struggle until Ben suddenly dropped a feet feet away immediately becoming her first priority.

She spun on her heel striking the walker once in the neck cause a blood sputter almost like a running tap, it dropped to the group still snarling and reaching for them. Nova withdrew the machete blade from its neck and bought back in down into its face, not once, not twice nor three times. In a moment of blind rage, she hacked away at the walker's face, seeing red.

After a moment, Nova finally looked up again meeting Ben's eye immediately recognizing the expression of pure horror adorning his face, he had never seen her act so aggressively. If it weren't for the faceless walker at his side, he would think it was a hallucination.

"Are you okay?" She asked through pants, sticking out her hand.

Ben's hand grasped hers as he staggered to his feet, nodding once. "Just peachy.." he mumbled sarcastically, swallowing the vile threatening to spill out onto the floor.

"Bob..." their friends name fell from Sasha's mouth so fondly, they turned to find her on her knees before him. A solemn expression on her face as he checked his wound.

"It's okay." He said reassuringly. "He got me right on the bandage."

Relief fueled laughter quickly came from Sasha as she rose wrapping her arms around him earning a few yells in pain in response, she quickly backed up holding her hands up defensively.

"I didn't say stop, I just said ow. I just saw ow." He spoke through pants, Sasha quickly pushing him by his good shoulder.

Nova lowered herself onto a rock, resting her forearms against her knees as she looked up at the sky trying to catch her breath. Her chest beginning to burn at the lack of oxygen flowing into her lungs.