when a House becomes a Home

You didn't like the clothes Nana put you into. They hung loose to your small figure and smelt funny. She then tried feeding you, which you also didn't understand.

"How can someone not know who to eat?" Nana's husband said.

"Maybe it's too much?" She removed some of the strange substance from your 'plate' and offered it to you again.

This was nothing like the food you've eaten all your life. While yours was served in a small packet and was quick and easy to eat, these humans' way of eating was to place some clumpy, weird-colored organism-like thing onto your serving plate. You've watched the scientists in the laboratory eat, but even then it wasn't like this.

"You eat it. Come on, put it in your mouth." The adult man told you. He gestured something with his hands but you still didn't understand.

"Perhaps he doesn't know what it is?" Nana crossed her arms and tapped her chin. "I'll go grab something more simple!"

The adult male studied you with narrowed eyes, "It's like you brought home a stray animal..."

"Don't be mean, honey. The kid has just lived a different life from us." Nana said to him from the other side of the room.

"Here we go!" Nana spilled a bunch of stuff onto the table in front of you. "All of Kotaro's favorites!"

"A bunch of junk food..." The male sighed.

"You're sure to like one of these, Kotaro can barely resist any of them!" She looked at you with a silly smile. "Here, try some." She gestured for you to look at the brightly decorated packets.

It was a little overwhelming for you, but under Nana's gaze, you couldn't help but reach out to one to not disappoint her. You grabbed the one that was the most similar to what you'd eaten before. It was a packet filled with some kind of malleable substance.

"Oh, applesauce. Here, let me help." She gently took it out of your hand and twisted the top. "Now you just put it in your mouth, and squeeze it."

You do what you were told and put the tip in your mouth. And with both of your hands wrapped around the small tube, you squeeze it. The amount that came out surprised you, you rip the tip out of your mouth and cough up the applesauce.

"Woah! Careful!" Nana was by your side instantly, gently rubbing your back.

"Pft." The male smiled for the first time since you met him. He pressed his hand against his mouth and turned his head.

"D-don't laugh at him." The woman beside you pressed her lips together to stop herself from smiling.

The male turned back to face you only to not be able to hold it in anymore and burst out laughing. He pointed at the applesauce covering the bottom half of your face and your dumb expression and knelled over in laughter.

The applesauce tasted very sweet.

-

"So how old are you?" The male asked.

You have been cleaned up and shown how to really eat the 'squeeze pouch'. You were now eating through the whole stock of the small human's applesauce.

You didn't respond to him and continued to suck on the pouch.

"Kiddo, do you wanna tell us how old you are?" Nana asked. You glance towards her.

"I do not know." You answer.

"Well, that's useful." The male responded, only to have Nana smack him across the head.

"Then what about a name?" He asked again. You didn't respond and finished the pouch you were holding only to grab another one that Nana was offering out to you.