the Birth of a Hero

Nana had some things to do first, so you just quietly tagged along. Your presence wasn't at all noticeable.

Even though it was a weekend, not a lot of people were out. Perhaps it was the cold, you wouldn't know.

You met Nana's student at a junkyard, amongst the wet snow, mud, and abandoned appliances was a scrawny boy with yellow hair pushing a broken freezer. Even though it was apparently winter, he only wore a sweatshirt and boots as added protection from the cold.

"Young Toshinori," Nana called out to him. The young man almost looked like his heart flew out of his chest at the sound of her voice, his feet slipped and he would have fallen into the mud if he hadn't caught himself at the last second.

"M-master!" His eyes widen in surprise.

"It seems that you've been working hard, Young Man." She complimented him as she gestured to the open space that they were standing in. "You haven't been overworking yourself, have you?"

"N-No!" He stood straight with his arms pinned to his sides. "I-I mean, not enough to put me out of commission..."

She seemed to be expecting this answer, "Remember, Young Toshinori, getting to where you need to be will take hard work. But! Overworking is no good either." She scolded him.

"Y-yes." It was only then that he saw you standing behind Nana, "W-what?! Master, a kid!" He hollered as he pointed his finger at you.

"Haha. That's right!" She grabbed your shoulder and put you in front of her, practically showcasing you. "This is Y/n, you're going to be seeing him quite often from now on."

"A-a kid!?"

"Yup! I found him on the streets!"

"On the streets!?"

"But he got kicked out of the daycare!"

"Out of daycare!"

"For putting a kid in the hospital!"

"In a hospital!!"

The young man's jaw almost dropped to the floor as he looked at you.

"So I thought this would be a good chance for not only the kid to learn, but to control that power of his." She gave her signature smile and thumbs up.

"O...Okay."

"Y/n, why don't you go greet him as we taught you." She gently pushed you forward towards the dumbstruck young man.

"Hello, my name is Y/n." You stuck your hand out.

"Y-Y/n-san." The young man gave you a rigid bow, rightfully confusing you. Nana laughed and placed her hand on both yours and the young man's shoulders. "Looks like the two of you will get along great!"

Nana didn't have you do much. She asked several different questions about what you were capable of, most of which you didn't know, and had to test out then and there.

"No that's not it, your getting bigger." She held you up by your armpits and watched as your body slowly grew. She was trying to see if you could just change your density without changing your mass. She hypnotized you that you could do it and that you've been doing it without even knowing, which helped you channel so much strength while staying so small.

The blond boy grunted behind you as he continued to put his all into pushing a broken bookshelf. Nana looked over your shoulder towards him, "Don't strain too hard Young Toshinori, you'll only delay your progress when you get hurt!" She said to him.

"Yes, Master!" He called out, yet he didn't seem to understand what she meant and pushed even harder.

"Ah, that young one's quite stubborn." You crank your neck to look at him with her. "He's gonna make a great hero."