the Life of a Child

You didn't do much at the Shimura household. They tried feeding you again, but you couldn't get yourself to consume the strange substance. During the day, Kosuke would go to work and Nana would go on patrol. While you and Nana's child went to daycare.

Your body was a lot older than the other children's, as you were at least two heads taller than most of them. You were the largest in the classroom, but honestly, the most ignorant about life. Or in the children's words, dumb.

You would admit that the teachers were a lot more patient with you than your other teachers, but they also didn't give you much attention in the first place.

According to Nana, the other children were at least half your age. You couldn't quite comprehend the concept of age but acted as if you understood.

Nana's child had already lost interest in you. He would bring you along with him at the start, but once everyone started to realize how 'dumb' you were for how old you looked, he ditched you.

So on most days, you spent your time sitting in the corner looking out the window.

-

You were eating another applesauce pouch at the table in the room supposedly called the 'kitchen'. Everyone else at the table ate the food that Kosuke had made for everyone.

"I met someone really strange today," Nana said as she ate. "A young man who said he wanted to be a hero and become a Symbol of Peace for Japan." She chuckled as she recited the memory.

"That could do Japan some good," Kosuke responded.

"Yeah, but the thing was, the kid was quirkless."

You look up at the sound of the word.

"Poor kid," Kosuke mumbled with food in his mouth.

She laughed, "Yeah, he's a foolish kid. I like him."

"Of course, you do. This kid does have a home, right?" He joked.

This made her laugh.

-

The conversation sticks with you for the rest of the day. You sit in the room that Nana and Kosuke had prepared for you, apparently, Kosuke's mother stayed there before she passed and all of her stuff still needed to be moved out.

The room still looked the same as when they moved you there. Just a plain room. There was a bed, which was made, and a closet for your clothes. It was different from your room in the laboratory, but Nana still mentions how much more she could do at making it look 'more lively'.

Your eyes study the texture of the ceiling as you recall the conversation at the table.

Quirkless?

Like Number Four.

And Nana said that he wanted to be a hero.

A quirkless hero?

You recall your time with Number Four, how the two of you acted relatively similar when left alone together.

You remember Four being good at acting. When it was with humans, Four would act very friendly. It acted exactly how the humans wanted it to but immediately once they would leave, Four would go blank.

The two of you would spend your time laying on the floor, side by side. Four would speak, and you would listen. Although it didn't happen often, the moments were pleasant.

The fact that it died the way it did leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

-

You didn't quite like going to daycare. Nana's child would run off the moment Nana would drop the both of you off and you would sit down and watch the humans play.