the Man born from Evil

You were already introduced to the man Nana called a friend.

He didn't seem to like your presence much. Days, when Nana would bring you around, were rare but were common enough that you saw the man often. He wore a white suit, with a yellow cape that wrapped around his neck as a scarf that flew behind him. His gaze was sharp, and you found it hard to look away from his disapproving eyes.

He never spoke to you, seeming to never know what to say, but he treated you nicely. It was only over time that his gaze would soften at the sight of you.

It was clear how much these people cared for you, which never felt right.

One morning, when you and Nana arrived at the used-to-be junkyard, you both saw the worn-out Yagi, standing among the cleared land. Piles of junk were organized into different sections, and a pathway cleared to the houses that weren't even visible before.

The skinny and weak young man that you met long ago was now replaced with a taller, fit version of himself.

As if he was reborn, the boy that he was before was gone, leaving only his ideals and heroic spirit.

"I'm truly proud of you, Young Toshinori." She walked up to the boy and placed her hand on his shoulder. "All because of your hard work, you've become the young man you are today."

The young man seemed to almost collapse with pride, a large smile printed on his face, "Master..."

"Remember where you came from, Young Toshinori. And let that bring you strength."

She spoke to the boy with power in her voice, you only watched from the side as she spoke to him about the responsibilities and origin of her power. "There is a difference between being lucky and deserving. One an accident, the other a reward. Never get the two confused. You've earned this with your own valiant efforts, and now, Young Toshinori, you are truly ready to accept my quirk."

Although the boy seemed to be tired enough that he might collapse, you could feel his bursting energy from where you were standing.

"This power has been passed on from hero to hero, each praying that it will bring joy and peace to humanity. That One for All would give the word hope. And now it is your turn, do your best, Toshinori."

His eyes were filled with tears. Everything that he's been working for finally boiled down to this moment. "Y-Yes!"

"Now...eat this."

"..."

"Huh?"

-

You never saw Yagi as much ever since he began high school. The three of you, plus Nana's hero friend, gathered to congratulate the young boy, but you haven't seen him since.

Nana updated you every once and a while, as she had been watching closely his development through school.

Your days once again became very boring.

By now, you were the smallest in your class, as you haven't grown at all. Nana and Kosuke were worried, but once you mentioned that this would be normal for your case, they dropped it.

There was one day when Nana took you out of school to bring you to Yagi's school festival. You watched the boy that you watched grow use his newfound power that he was making his own. Through his struggle fighting his schoolmates, Yagi stood on the number one pedestal in the end.

You watch the boy in second place, hair so red it could have been lava and his eyes. You sat in shock at the familiar look in his eyes. You immediately see Number Eight in him. Eyes so cold, they could be deadly, they looked at Yagi as if he wanted him dead.