i. ⸺ eliza mills

𝐀 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐆 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋, 𝐍𝐎 𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐑 than eleven years old had a photo pulled up on her phone

𝐀 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐆 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋, 𝐍𝐎 𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐑 than eleven years old had a photo pulled up on her phone. It was a picture taken of a page from a storybook that she and her brother, Henry had been given by their teacher. It looked to be a man and a woman hugging in an abandoned cabin. The woman wore a purple off-the-shoulder dress and the man in a white suit. Both hopelessly and utterly in love with the other.

"Cambridge bus station!"

The girl looked up from her phone before securing it in her jacket and finding a cab. After assuring the driver that she would indeed be paying for the ride, she told the man her destination and the car stopped in front of a small apartment building. The girl closed the car door behind her and looked up at the steps before walking up and knocking on the door numbered 'seven'."

A young woman with shoulder-length, dark brown hair — almost black — opened the door and quirked an eyebrow upward at the sight of the girl.

"Um... can I help you?" she asked, looking down at her.

"Are... are you Victoria Hunter?" the girl asked and the woman looked apprehensive. "Victoria Elizabeth Hunter?"

"How do you know my full name?"

"I think I'm your daughter," the girl replied and Victoria blanched. "My name is Hannah Mills and eleven years ago, I was adopted a few days before my brother. And I think you're my birth mother."

Victoria sucked in a breath and widened the door. "You better come inside." She closed the door behind the brown-haired girl and crossed her arms, leaning against the wall. "Do your parents know you're here?"

"It's just my mom," Hannah told her, sitting on the couch. "And no. She doesn't. My brother is in Boston right now."

"So both you and your brother vanished in the middle of the night without so much as telling your mother?" Victoria asked before letting out a breath. "You know, technically, she could have me arrested for kidnapping even if I've never met you before. Are you sure I'm your mother?"

"Well..." Hannah stood up to fully face the woman. "Did you give up a baby girl for adoption?" Victoria stayed silent and the young girl knew she had her answer. "Look, I didn't come here for anything. I've just always wanted to meet you and my mom always told me and my brother no so we took matters into our own hands."

Victoria sighed and picked up her keys. "Do you need a ride home, kid?" she asked, twirling them in her hand. Hannah smiled and nodded. "This doesn't guarantee anything, just so you know. I just don't want the cops showing up at my front door. And kid... don't take having your mom for granted. Take it from me... you'll always want your parents around."