vii. ⸺ the death of a sheriff

"𝐎𝐊𝐀𝐘, 𝐈 𝐔𝐒𝐔𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐆𝐄𝐓 involved in other peoples' business, but—"

"Good," Sheriff Graham said with a nod, looking over at Victoria from throwing his darts. "Keep it that way."

"But," she repeated sternly. "I saw you leaving the Mayor's house late last night." Graham paused and Victoria shrugged. "And I'm starting to grow attached to Hannah and she is the mayor's daughter."

"So is Eliza," Graham replied, throwing the dart at the board. "I don't see you talking to me because you're so concerned about her like you are Hannah."

Victoria shook her head. "No. Eliza is an adult with her own romance troubles. Hannah is still a child. And I also happen to know that you find yourself attracted to Emma Swan. Which brings me to wonder why you're pursuing a relationship with Regina when you want to be with Emma."

Graham pursed his lips and brushed past her. "You said you don't get involved in other's business," he said, opening the door. "You should stick with that."

"I'm just saying, Graham, you could be happy," Victoria said, walking over to him. "So if you care so much about Emma, why the hell are you with Regina?"

"Because..."

Victoria furrowed her brow when Graham seemed to be lost in thought. "Graham?" She waved a hand in his face before shaking her head. "You know what, I'll take my own advice. Good luck, sheriff."

She walked out the door of Granny's just as Eliza came inside, watching the brunette leave. "What's wrong with her?" She looked over at Graham. "And you. You look like you've seen a ghost."

Graham shook his head and focused on the black-haired woman in front of him. "It's nothing, Eliza. I'll see you later."

She raised her eyebrows as he hurried out of the diner. "O—Okay..." She shrugged off her confusion and smiled at the diner owner and her granddaughter. "Hi, Granny. Hi, Ruby."

Elizabeth glanced at her stepsister who placed a single white rose on her father's coffin. "Goodbye, father."

"I'm so sorry, Snow," came her mother's voice and Elizabeth looked behind her to find her laying a hand on Snow White's shoulder.

"I loved him so much," Snow White managed to say through her sobs.

"So did I," the Evil Queen replied. "So did I."

Elizabeth shook her head with a scoff and hurried away from her stepfather's coffin. She ran the familiar path that she had memorized before stopping in front of a small tree. "Why did you have to die?" she whispered, feeling tears fill her eyes. "Why?"

"Miss?" Elizabeth looked up from the tree and looked for the source of the voice, landing on a young man with a wolf following him. "Is everything alright, miss?" Elizabeth couldn't find her voice, her sight only on the wolf. The man followed her gaze and nodded. "Oh. Don't worry. He's harmless."