Eric's promise

5 Months Later

Eric knocked on his daughters' room.

"Yes," a small voice answered and he walked in.

Inside, sat Sally on her small chair, her dress flowing.

"Hey, Sal," Eric said, sitting on the end of their bed.

She smiled in reply. Sally has always been a girl of little words. While children her age spoke way more than they should be, Sally chose as few words as possible.

But then, people have been taking her for being depressed so much so that Eric himself started doubting so. And there were some signs that he couldn't ignore.

Eric had hardly seen her laugh. She did, occasionally, but she wasn't very generous with it. She almost always kept to herself and the most he's seen her interact was with Haley. She didn't even come to Eric much. He had always taken this for her general nature.

But then, a few months back, when he'd gone to meet their teacher, Leah had highlighted these to him. And to hear it from a complete stranger made him so mad but it also made him sick to his stomach with worry.

Maybe he was being ignorant, assuming his daughter to be reserved and shy while she was dealing with something she couldn't explain or even understand herself. Even adults have a hard time understanding depression so how can a child?

On that day, he had blurted out angrily at Leah, asking her to marry him. He had been angry at so many things for so long and this sudden realisation of his daughter's mental welfare added oil to the fire. Leah had to take the heat of it.

He'd apologised later, sure. But then who'd have thought here he'd be, married to the same woman.

"You look like a princess!" He said gesturing to the pretty gown she'd worn to the wedding.

Sally looked up at him and gave a small smile. "Thanks, daddy."

He sighed. "I know things are very confusing right now. And it's going to take a while to get used to everything, but it'll be alright. Okay?"

She didn't say anything.

"Your Miss Leah is here for you. She's here to take care of you and love you. To help you in any way you need." He paused. He couldn't read Sally's face, so he continued. "But anytime you feel uncomfortable about anything, I want you to come to me. Without worrying about anything, you come to me. You understand?"

Sally stared blankly for a second and nodded.

"You can talk to me about anything. Your happiness is what is most important to daddy, Sally."

She nodded again. She was just seven and Eric didn't know how much of anything that was happening she understood.

He wished she'd put her thoughts into words. He wished he'd be able to understand his daughter without any words.

He sighed. He hoped Leah would be good for them. But he also worried if Leah would turn out to be an evil stepmom. He had been so skeptical about this marriage for this reason and even now he would be lying if he said he didn't consider the possibilities.

But he hoped she wouldn't be. He'd watch her like a hawk and make sure she behaved.

******
Author's note: Thank you for choosing this story. Hope you like it! 🫰
Please vote and comment your thoughts if you like it ❤️

******