Close proximity

"You're kidding," Eric said. It wasn't a question. It was a statement.

Leah packed around the small space. "I'm just as confused as you are!"

"Confused?" He yelled and the Haley turned in her sleep. Eric looked regretful.  "I'm not confused Leah!" He hissed angrily. "I'm furious! What are you thinking, Leah? Is this a joke?"

Leah stared. This is the first time Eric had called her by her name.

"I told you I'd never be in love with you. I told you from the very beginning."

"I'm not asking you to fall in love with me! I'm asking you to fake it. For 2 days, that's all."

"It's all the same! I can't do this, Leah! I can't even fake being in love with you."

Leah knew Eric's aversion and knew it wasn't about her but this still offended her.

"Listen, Eric. I married you because of my parents. They have been longing to get me married for years. In fact, they made it their life's goal to see me married. That's why I agreed to marry you! I don't want your love. I will never love you either and our reasons may be different but faking this is just as hard for me."

She panted. She was furious now.

"This whole thing is for my parents. I don't want them thinking I'm not happy. I am not putting myself through this marriage with you of all people just to end up disappointing my parents. You don't have to do too much. Just smile and talk with me and they'll assume we're happy."

Just then they heard a knock on the door and Leah on instinct, immediately sat beside Eric on the bed, facing him.

"Yeah," she called out and her mother came in.

"Everything alright? It sounded like you were arguing."

"Ma, that's between me and my husband actually, but it was just a friendly argument about nothing. Go back to sleep."

"Okay, sorry. I also came to get the kids. Give you guys some space."

"Ah," Eric screamed and Leah pressed his hand with hers. She gave him the eye and he cleared his throat. "Awwww," he corrected. "That's sweet of you auntie but it's okay. They don't adapt too well to new places. It'll take them a while."

"Oh, but I see that they're already asleep. Don't worry, I won't wake them. Leah's dad can gently carry them to our room. You guys sleep well."

Leah couldn't find words to argue and Eric stayed silent as well. She hoped one or both of the kids would wake up when her dad takes them and they'll leave them here. But things didn't go the way she wished. She looked at him apologetically, as her parents, true to their promise, gently took the girls to their room.

Eric was still frozen as everything happened. Leah's hand was still on his.

"I'm sorry," she said, bringing him back.

He stared at her and then her hand. She immediately pulled back.

Silence filled the room as they both sat facing each other, not saying anything. They were all alone and in close proximity. They had never been this close without another person present. And now that they were, discomfort started creeping through them. Eric shook himself off from the shock of it all and stood up.

"I'll sleep on the other side," he announced. He lied there with his back to Leah and Leah did the same.

When she turned out the night lamp, knots formed in her stomach. He'll, I'm not going to get any sleep tonight! She thought to herself and cursed her parents for it.

After a few minutes, she felt herself calm down. She turned back to face him.

"In sorry about all this," she muttered, wondering if he was already asleep.

He wasn't. He turned his head. By then her eyes had adjusted to the dim lighting and  she could see him look at her for a second. "I understand.  You don't have to apologise."

Leah smiled and he turned back. There was no use being so awkward. They were married and would be put in more awkward situations from time to time and getting all worked up would do nobody no good, Leah thought. The sooner they got over the awkwardness the easier it'll get.

"So, how are liking this place?" She asked, breaking the ice.

He turned his head again and squinted a little. He sighed and Leah momentarily regretted asking anything. She should have left it all as it is, she thought.

But then he turned around fully and lied facing her. In the dark, his eyes fixed intently on hers.

Leah couldn't exactly spot what she was feeling at right that moment.

"It's good," he finally answered. "I like your house. And your parents," he added after a beat and Leah scoffed.

"Liar."

He smiled. "Except for what they did just now, I truly like them,"

Leah searched his face for mockery. But no. He sounded genuine.

"They like you too. And the kids. That's also partly the reason they took the kids. They want to spend more time with them, I guess."

Eric nodded.

"Your room has a lot of posters," he remarked looking around and Leah blushed.

"I used to be a crazy teenager. I collected posters of everything I liked - music, movies, actors and whatnot." She laughed. "This is just a few. I have a whole lot of posters tucked away in a cardboard box. These are ones I've still not outgrown."

"Cute."

Leah smiled. "I hope you feel comfortable here. Please let me know if anything bothers you."

"Don't worry. It's really nice here."

It was indeed. Leah had spent so many nights in this very same room imagining a night like this. She had dreamed of being married and being in this room with her husband, showing him all of her stuff.

Things may not have gone the way she wanted but regardless, here she was. And with her husband. Yes, he doesn't love her and she doesn't love him, but she has a family now.

As imperfect as that was, she now has a family of her own. And that's all that mattered.

********

Author's note: First of all, sorry for the delay! Thank you for reading this far and voting for it! I hope more of you read it and all who read like it 🫰
Please vote for this chapter and leave your comments to help me do better ❤️
-Xoxo