Week-iversary

The first week at Eric's passed by in a blur. They got married on Friday and had guests at home on the weekend. And when they were all gone, Leah spent every waking minute trying to figure out the house's customs and rules, what's kept where and who does what.

She had taken two weeks off for her wedding - the first three days before the wedding and the remaining for after.

New brides took days off after the wedding to spend time with their husband. But Leah didn't have a normal wedding and her husband was off at work immediately.

On the upside, Leah had this time for herself. The kids too had gone off to school and she was home alone, processing and breathing and telling herself to calm down.

On the day after their wedding, Eric had handed Leah the key to their wardrobe where, to her surprise, he had made a huge space for her stuff. He had shown her the basics around the house, mainly the bathroom and the kitchen.

"Make yourself comfortable. Call my mom if you need something." She didn't fail to notice that he didn't ask her to call him.

It was Friday today. One week since the marriage. She had seen some of her friends post week-iversary celebration pics on social media and had laughed at them.

Who's laughing now?

She made herself a sandwich snack and sat down with a cup of coffee and sandwich.

It still felt very odd to be in this place. She felt like an intruder and found herself tiptoeing one too many times. She had to keep reminding herself that she was now the man's wife and this was as much her home as his.

It's going to be the weekend tomorrow and Leah was unaware of how their typical weekends went, what the kids did with their father.

She was here for the kids. More for Sally than Haley. She had a huge responsibility on her and she hadn't even discussed with Eric on where to start. She had to make plans, bring in new activities. She should spend more time with Sally and she hoped Sally would like it. She hoped she'd like her.

She would talk to Eric once he's home, she decided.

***

Eric was home early. He hadn't let Leah know though and that's the why he was now standing frozen by the bedroom door.

Leah was changing.

A strong urge to scream tugged at Leah but she composed herself, holding the top to her chest. Thank God she was wearing at least her pyjama bottoms and a bra.

Eric immediately stepped out and closed the door.

Leah hurriedly put on the rest of her clothes and tried to relax. She had always being too cautious of this. The fact that they shared a room made such run-ins possible. That's why in the mornings she never came to the room until Eric was dressed for work and at the dinning table.

She feared something like this could happen, but this soon? She was too stunned to relax. Her heart kept thudding against her chest.

It took a few more minutes to calm her breathing and she slowly stepped out of the room. She heard Eric's voice from the kids' room and went there.

He looked up at her and something crossed his face.

"Just a second darlings," he said to the kids and walked out, gesturing Leah to follow.

When they were back in the room he looked at her sharply.

"It's okay-"

"What were you thinking?"

They both spoke at the same time. Leah assumed Eric would apologise for barging in without so much as even a knock and it took her a few seconds to grasp his words

"What?" She asked confused.

"I said, what were you thinking? Changing without locking the door!" He yelled.

He yelled!

Leah was so pissed and shocked, she couldn't form words.

"Don't you know you have to lock the door? Anybody could've walked in. You're sharing it with another person for god's sake. Or is this some plan of yours? Trying to lure me or something?"

Leah lost it.

"Excuse me? Who do you think you are? And while teaching me the importance of locking the door, why didn't you knock? Where did your manners go? And anybody could walk in? What is this, a hotel? Why would anybody walk in when it's just us four living here? And you weren't even supposed to be home this early!"

"I come home whenever I want to!" He barked.

"Well and I change wherever I want to! You learn to knock before entering. You don't stay here alone. You share it with a woman."

He glared at her, not saying anything.

"I didn't lock because the kids were in the other room alone and if they needed to come here they should be. I don't know what nonsense idea you have in your head but I don't have to lure you. I'm not even remotely interested in you."

He stayed silent and Leah felt her temper rising with every minute.

"I understand that you would never be able to love me. You've made that plenty clear. But I haven't made something clear myself. I am never going to fall for you either. Never in a million years. I didn't get married to you in hopes for a fairytale. I know well enough what I got myself into. I'm doing it for the kids. And yes for myself too. I wanted my parents to leave me alone with this marriage thing. But that doesn't make me desperate! I don't want your love or anything. We're just two strangers helping each other out. We're scratching each other's back, that's all. Don't get all high in your head!"

She breathed heavily. She felt her fingers shaking on her sides from all that tension. Tears pricked her eyes, but she didn't want this man to see her cry. She wouldn't give him that satisfaction.

"Just because I'm not as rich as you or because I agreed this deal, don't take me for granted. I can walk out of this house and we'd be equally damaged."

With that she left the room. She went into the kitchen and pretended to look for something to make dinner for the kids.

When she was alone, she let those tears fall.

**********
Author's note: If you've read this far, thank you so much. Thank you for believing in this story and giving it a chance. I hope to not disappoint you.

Please leave your comments and help me be better🫰
***********