The talk

Eric was more worried than furious after his ex's random ambush. He hadn't thought it through and didn't get his children and wife prepared for something like this.

And that was his fault through and through. He shouldn't have taken Sharon so lightly. He of all people knew how evil she was.

But she has been AWOL for so long. She didn't care a bit about the kids and never once has she gone to their school to meet them. It was a wonder she even knew the name of their school.

Which was why he never considered the possibility that she'd do this. Even now, he knew for sure she wasn't there to see her kids. She didn't have one ounce of love for them and was least bothered about them. He was certain she was there to see Leah.

And God knows what she did or said to Leah, cause there has been a drastic shift in Leah's attitude from that day on. It's been more than a week now, and Leah was still not the chirpy self she used to be.

Eric had tried asking if something was wrong or if Sharon had said anything hurtful but Leah's only answer had been that everything was alright. But Eric could feel a wall around Leah and he couldn't get through it.

He thought maybe with time she'd get back to normal. He thought maybe just seeing Sharon was too much for her. Eric had never before spoken of his past to Leah. And all this while there has been no contact from her. So maybe the sudden and unannounced contact was too much for her.

But all this was just an assumption. He didn't know what exactly was bothering Leah and it killed him that she was being this way. He wanted desperately to help, to soothe. But Leah wouldn't let him in.

It was after dinner now and Eric had put the kids to sleep while Leah finished up everything in the kitchen. They both went to their room at the same time, almost bumping into each other.

When Leah looked up at Eric, there was a sadness in her eyes that he couldn't place why, and something inside him tightened.

"Hey! Fancy meeting you here!" He tried to joke, smiling.

A small, unhumourous smile spread across her face. She moved a little, making space for him to go in. Eric walked in and Leah followed.

She was silent as she spread the bedding on the floor.

"Haley and Sally fell asleep almost instantly."

"Oh, nice," she said and went back to her work.

"How are they doing at school? Sally talks a bit about some new friends. That's progress, right?"

Leah turned his way and without meeting his eyes, she replied "Yeah. She's been getting along with her classmates better than before. And she's doing better with her homework too."

"That's amazing. I think a lot of the credit goes to you. Thank you Leah."

He expected more reaction than a curt nod, which was all Leah gave.

"It's my duty. Didn't you marry me for exactly this?"

There was an edge to her voice. Eric gritted his teeth and sighed.

"Leah, can we talk?"

"I'm sleepy. Later maybe," she said and started to walk off towards the washroom.

Eric quickly took her arm and yanked her towards him, holding both her arms. She was now standing face to face with him but she still wouldn't look at him.

"Leah."

"Please let me go," she tried to wriggle free but Eric only tightened his grip on her arms.

"We. Need. To. Talk." He enunciated every word.

"There's nothing to talk."

"Leah, what the hell happened? We were fine until a week ago. We were all happy and having a lot of fun. We were becoming friends for heaven's sake. And then you suddenly changed. You wouldn't talk unless absolutely necessary and you wouldn't even look at me. What changed?"

"Nothing changed! And nothing will!" She looked up at him. "We were never friends Eric. We're just mere roommates who had to cope being together. We were laughing and having fun because there was no other way. We had to live under this one roof and it was our coping mechanism. Well guess what? I don't want to fake anything anymore. I'd rather we just mind our own businesses and the kids."

Eric's temper rose. "You think all that between us was just fake?"

"What was between us Eric? There was nothing between us. And there never will be, right? Isn't that what you said and even explicitly promised?"

She yanked her hands free and tried to move away but Eric took her hand almost instantly and pulled her close, this time with a force that made her bump into him.

Eric was fuming with anger.

"Leah what happened that day when you met Sharon?"

"What?" She took a minute to understand his question and shook her head. "Nothing."

"Leah, don't take me for a fool. You were fine till the day she waltzed into your school and ambushed you. And then immediately there's such a shift in your behaviour. You think I wouldn't see it?"

Leah remained silent.

Eric sighed. "Fine. If you don't want to say anything, don't. But hear me out. I'm sorry. I'm really very sorry for whatever she said or did. She can be very manipulative and evil. She's so full of spite and I know first hand how her words can hit you right in the gut. I'm sorry I didn't warn you or prepare you for her. I never once thought this possible. She has never cared for our kids and never bothered to visit them at the school. I can assure you with a two hundred percent confidence that she was there only to spew venom at you. To manipulate and trouble you just so she could ruin our relationship and the happiness of our home. And I can see it has worked perfectly given your behaviour."

He could see Leah's eyes fill with tears as she looked away, willing herself to not cry.

"I'm actually grateful to you for handling the situation with the kids. Thank you for not letting her get her spiteful words to the kids. You did great and I'm very thankful. But I'm really very sorry for not warning you about her. She's a snake and she's so full of venom. She burns and kills everything, that's her speciality. Please, please don't let her get to you, Leah."

Leah still remained silent. He placed a gentle hand on her cheeks and she looked up at him.

"I am not going to force you to talk to me or be normal with me. But please don't let her come between us. You asked what was there between us. There are a lot of things between us Leah. Trust, respect, care, friendship and so many things. I may have been rude to you at first, but getting to know you I've learned to trust you. I'd trust you with my life. Hell, I'd trust you with my kids' life. Our kids' life. You are the mother they didn't have but deserved. I'm so grateful for you, Leah."

The tears she'd been holding for so long, fell.

"You take your time, Leah. take all the time you need. But just know, not only the kids but I need you too." He brushed his thumb across her cheek, wiping a tear. "I would love to have the old Leah back. As much as I thought it impossible, your silence and your indifference bothers me. You have come to mean a lot to me Leah and I want to see that smile on your face again."

********

Author's note: I'm sooo sorry for such a delayed update. Thank you for your patience. I hope this chapter compensates for it. I'll try to be more consistent going forward.

Meanwhile, thank you so much for all the love towards this story. I'm so grateful and lucky for having you all!!

Please vote and comment if you liked the chapter 🫰